Chapter 23

Hello everyone, sorry for the big gap...i had some personal work. now here the update hope you like it...see you'll at the end!

-----------------------------------

         Archie let out a slow breath with his eyes closed; he opened his eyes and stared at the closed door in front of him. He could literally hear his heart pounding in his ears; his legs couldn't stay still while his hands were freezing up in nervousness. He raised his hand to ring the bell but stopped feeling the shivering in his hand "you've done this before...you can do it! You have to do it now" he slowly whispered to himself. Seeing that none of it did any good, he closed his eyes again and thought back to his conversation with his mom the night before.

FB*

The night before,

   Archie and Mary watched dramatically as the coin flipped its way up and travelled down rightfully landing between Archie's palms; Archie looked at his closed hands holding the coin... the moment he held the coin he almost believed this was the decision he needed and that he would listen to whatever it showed. A nervous feeling slowly creped through him, Archie looked at Mary who watched him with a 'knowing' smile just as he gripped harder over the coin. Archie looked back at his hand, gulping the nervous feeling inside; he slowly loosened his clench preparing himself for 'The' decision. A tiny gap became visible between his hands as he loosened, but before he could see anything another hand closed over it holding his hands together tighter. He looked up at his mother smiling brightly holding his hand, he raised his brows again confused and almost frustrated even.

       "Mom, don't you want me to make a decision?" Archie asked at his mother confused by her smile, Mary chuckled "Of course I do... but not by looking at the coin!" she said confusing Archie even more, he closed his eyes trying to make sense of his mom's words. "Then why did you want me to throw a coin!" Mary smiled at her son; she held both of Archie's hands with hers. "Because it's a long shot..." Archie looked at his mother blankly unable to follow, Mary looked back still holding a smile "When you threw the coin in the air, what did you wish you would get?" she asked freezing Archie in his place. He stared at his mother surprised at her question, "What?" Archie whispered the word making Mary tilt her head smiling "You did, didn't you?" she asked casually. Seeing his startled look, Mary took a deep breath and repeated the question in different words "When you were about to catch the coin, you wished you would get for one side... one person more than the other! Who was it?" Archie looked completely taken aback as Mary's words started to sink in seeing which Mary let go of his hand and settled back in her seat.

       Archie looked at his mother silently, he didn't expect such a question; Mary's voice brought him back from the shock "This is what your father used to say... When you're in any dilemma the heart always tells its choice to the mind... but being complex as it is it only gives a glimpse of it when you're about to make one and we tend to notice it only if we are calm!" she said looking away at the carpet remembering her late husband's words and smiling automatically. Knowing the words were from his father, Archie almost heard it in Fred Andrew's voice, Mary looked back at her son who looked down at his hand. Mary watched Archie look up thinking of something, his face slowly grew into a smile making Mary reflect the same. Archie looked up at Mary and she could instantly tell from the clarity of his face that he had made his decision; Archie's smile grew bigger as seconds passed.

       Mary leaned forward, reached out and taught his hand that was now free of holding the coin, "you know what's in your heart...now it's your turn to choose it just like your father!" smiling Archie nodded this time, placing his hand which was holding the coin, on his mothers. Mary continued smiling "always know this...your father will be with you... I believe he will always love in your heart! So whatever decision you make, I'll stand by you!!" Archie was deeply touched his mother's words, he instantly lunged on to her and engulfed her into a tight hug. Mary patted her son's back, happy for him irrespective of his decision but somehow she smiled guessing his choice because she knew only one name could bring such a smile to his face. Archie leaned back breaking the hug smiling from ear to ear, "thank you so much mom!!" Mary just smiled at her son.

       Archie laughed still holding the coin in his hand, without peaking he pushed the coin into his pocket. He enthusiastically got up from his couch jumping on his feet; Mary watched her son speed-walk towards his bag "Archie, Where are you going? Aren't you hungry??Eat something before..." she couldn't complete her sentence as Archie answered "Later mom! I need to call Ronnie now!!" while running towards his room in remarkable speed. Mary stood downstairs and watched towards his door in confusion when Archie mentioned Veronica's name, but she shook her head remembering her words from few minutes ago and walked back to the kitchen to get the diner ready.

*FB

        Archie was so lost in his memories that he completely missed the person standing in front of him waving their hand. "Archie!!" the sudden loud voice brought him back to the present, he finally focused on the lady in front of him. It took him a few seconds to get his thoughts oriented, "Miss Smith! Good morning!!" he managed to day these words in mean time. Alice finally smiled at Archie who smiled back "Morning Archie! Come in!!" she invited him without a second thought. He nervously brushed his hands over his jeans entering the house, Alice noticed the change in his behavior but refrained herself from questioning him "You're here early... Betty told me that you'll don't have any morning classes today though!" she said walking inside the living room; Archie almost startled nodded nervously smiling at her. "Ah...yes, we don't have classes today but I still have practice in the afternoon and Betty told me she needs to go back blue and gold...so..." Alice smiled nodding.

        "Well Betty is in her room!" Alice pointed upstairs and Archie looked towards her room as if it was a big conquest. But turned back when Alice continued to talk to him, "You can go! She should be ready... Bring her down for breakfast and in mean time I'll fix something for you too..." Alice smiled brightly at Archie, who looked almost lost in thoughts. Archie nodded "Yes! Thanks you Miss Smith!!" he added before moving towards the stairs, he noticed Matt walk out of the kitchen with a mug filling the living room with a fresh smell of coffee. Matt noticed Archie almost give him a death stare and walk upstairs briskly, Alice who noticed this exchanged looked at Matt who looked back at Alice. Both smiled at each other knowing the meaning behind the stare and with that Alice walked back into the kitchen laughing to herself while Matt walked back to his room.

    Archie quickly climbed the stairs but stood outside her room as his heart beat rose all of a sudden, he closed his eyes and let out a few breaths to calm his mind and heart. He opened his eyes determined and opened the door with a single knock without waiting for a reply; his eyes first sited her absence on the bed and moved towards the front window. Archie's excitement suddenly froze seeing her sitting near the front window looking outside; she hadn't noticed the knock or Archie in the room. He smiled seeing her facing away from him he had been waiting all night to see her, he walked towards her and sat before her both gaining her attention and starling her at the same time. "Arch? God you startled me!" she said having her hand over her chest trying to calm her adrenaline fueled heart, Archie chuckled facing her "Well I did knock...you just didn't notice!" he said casually seeing every fine detail of Betty's face he had missed all this time.

        Betty momentarily looked at the door open and back at Archie "Oh you did...I..." Archie finally noticed her discomforted face and her averting eyes from his, "Is everything okay Betts?" Archie asked making Betty look at his face for the first time since he sat down. Betty looked taken back a little bit she soon put a smile on her face trying to mask it "Ya ya...of course I was planning about all the work I have to do...that's all!!" she made it up quickly by noticing the laptop on her bed. Archie looked at her not completely buying into it but Betty quickly asked him "You're here earlier than we planned...what's up Arch?" she asked. Archie had almost forgotten the reason he had come this early in the morning to her, he nodded letting out a nervous laugh "I just needed to say something!" Betty eyes grew big focusing her attention to him. "What is it?" she asked leaning towards him smiling, Archie looked at Betty's face...her expectant eyes, her perfectly down-curved lips with the mole below it...and that was it, all he needed to do was tell her...tell her what was in his heart but he was stuck, his mind was blank.

------------------------------

so that's it for this chapter...i actually didn't have much time to write this chapter, I'll try to do better next time!

I'm hoping to finish the story soon...so I'll try to update with small intervals.

Stay safe and take care

Divi