Chapter 13

hello everyone! hope all are safe. please take care of yourself.

--------------------------------------------

Friday evening,

"Finally Friday evening has come! It's just been few days since the semester started but feels like forever thought!!" Archie exclaimed visible happy that the weekend was finally starting. Betty just laughed at him, "You do remember we still have assignments to finish right?" Archie started at Betty for ruining his happiness. "...but yes I'm also hoping to get a lot of sleep...I probably will not leave my home this weekend at all!" Betty exclaimed massaging her neck. The words finally hit Archie and he slowed down in his tracks while Betty continued walking without noticing him. The thought that he might not get to see Betty as much as like weekdays bugged him more than his much awaited weekend.

"Arch?" Betty voice rang; Archie looked up at Betty looking from a few steps ahead of him. Betty raised her eyebrows questioning him but Archie juts shook his head and jogged to catch up with her and they both walked to their home. "Did you talk to veronica? She skipped school today too?? Is everything alright??" Betty asked again continuing their conversation; Archie nodded remembering the text he received in the morning just before the classes. Betty nudged Archie to bring him out of memory and he smiled at her confused face "Ya she's fine... she just had to meet someone about her college admission" Betty nodded but fell silent soon after.

      Archie sensing the unusual silence, he looked up to see Betty in deep thoughts and closer look he could see her disappointment and sadness in her face. Betty looked up to see Archie staring at her intensely and put on s smile instantly, but Archie held Betty's hand and both stopped walking. Betty rolled her eyes "I'm fine Arch!" she said abruptly but Archie just stood there with a straight face and intense look. "I really am..." Betty began again but stopped when she saw Archie's unchanged expression. She finally put her head down in defeat and avoided his gaze, Archie was still staring at her with a hint of a smile; he out of all people knew it was easy to get Betty to say what's in her heart without using words. "I'm just worried about my college admission...that's all!" she said trying to push back her tear. Archie instantly held Betty by her shoulders, "oh c'mon...I have no doubt you'll get into your preferred college...I bet on it!" he said confidently.

      Betty laughed at his statement, "I want to believe that...but I can't seem to... people see who you are? Where you're from? Who you're parents are??" Archie understood where her fear was coming from and on cue Betty finished her sentence "and whose going to take 'serial killer black Hood's daughter'" she said tears filling her eyes. Archie instinctively wiped her tears gently while she put her head down in despair; Archie put his hands under her chin and raised it making her look at him again "You're Betty Cooper...people are gonna evaluate you based on your skills and your intelligence...not on any external factors...if they do then that means they don't deserve you" Betty intently listened to Archie.

     "If I was given a choice...I will always bet on you Betty...you're gonna get your admission and not because of anyone else but you...okay?" Archie said and Betty finally smiled knowing that every word he said came from his heart. Archie smiled at Betty when he could feel Betty relax visibly, "Thank you Arch!" she barely whispered and Archie's smile grew bigger. They both stood like that without a word, with Archie's hand one on her shoulder and other still under Betty's chin while Betty's hand held on Archie's arm. Seconds passed...minutes passed and they stood looking into each other's eyes.

     Betty finally realized her surroundings and at once a wave of heat passed through her face; she finally broke from the gaze flustered by her overwhelming emotions while Archie watched her with a calm face and a hint of smile. Betty moved back a step and moved her eyes everywhere but him, "wah! Look at the time my mom must be waiting for me...let's go Arch!" she said and started to walk away without waiting for Archie. Archie stood there looking at a fast moving Betty, he could clearly see the effect of the stare they just had...he could even hear her thumping heart along with his. With a smile, he jogged up to her and walked with her without a talking anything on the way.