Chapter 28

hellloooooo everyone! hope all are doing well! i first want to thank everyone whose been reading this story. It's a long chapter and i will see ya'll at the end.....

-----------------------

         The rain was showing no mercy for the night, it was pouring down on the town like no tomorrow but without a heed about any of it Betty stood before the tall building silently praying for it to be the right place. Betty could barely recognise her own school building in the darkness but she took in a big breath and ran towards the side of the building but stopped momentarily when she saw the light on the football court. She slowly walked towards the centre, every step she took a dark figure became clearly visible; she stood some steps away to see the person throwing or at least trying to throw the ball towards the darkened goal line but it barely reached a few steps. Betty instantly let her tears flow along with the rain when she saw Archie, even as a silhouette she could see how Archie was struggling to pick-up or throw the ball. Almost hesitant she walked towards him; he paused for few seconds sensing Betty but continued with his actions. Now that they were near, she could see Archie holding one of his hand across his torso as if he's in pain and continued to throw the ball, she looked up to see Archie angry, frustrated with reddened eyes.

     Betty stood silently next to him crying while he threw the ball, walked to it, picked it up and went back to the centre to throw it again. "You...you're hurt...Arch!" Betty barely spoke the words, Archie stopped just as he was about to throw the ball. He closed his eyes trying to suppress something and suddenly threw the ball with a grunt startling Betty; the ball disappeared into the dark part of the field. Betty ran towards to Archie knowing that would have hurt his rib, but before that Archie turned towards Betty looking straight at her. The look on Archie's face crushed Betty...he looked frustrated yet sadder and broken; his lips were quivering in cold rain. He mumbled "I'm so sorry Betty!" and fell down sitting on the ground, as a pain reflex his hand automatically went over his ribs and Betty rushed towards him immediately. She slowly placed her hands on his shoulder, hurt by the condition he was in; she spoke again "Arch...You're hurt, you're in pain...let's get you back to the hospital..." but Archie barely moved an inch in response.

       He had his head down, "It's all because of me..." he whispered looking up at Betty "...I couldn't do anything right...I couldn't be the guy anyone wanted... for Ronnie, for Jughead, for my team... I couldn't even be the guy you could trust!" he said with no hope in his voice surprising Betty by both his words and tone. Betty instantly nodded her head but before she could put it in words Archie spoke again, "So betty! I understand..." he paused making Betty confused. He took a deep breath "I understand if you want to get together with Jughead...I..." but before he continued, Betty grabbed a hold of his shirt putting her head down. Betty finally understood why Archie was behaving this way, she could now clearly see that everything 'wrong' that had happened until now was because of Archie had see Jughead hug her during the game. She looked up with a sad and tired smile "Archie..." she began.

*FB

      "B!!" Veronica's voice came through the crowd, wiping Betty smile off her face at once and partly off Mary's face too who was sitting adjacent to her; Betty wasn't sure of how her and Archie relationship...if she wanted, could evolve without informing Veronica. But the thought of telling her was making Betty sick, pushing those thoughts down she waved back at her smiling and that's when she noticed Jughead behind her. Feeling an extra weight in her gut, "Jug!" she exclaimed standing up but before she could ask him anything Jughead engulfed in a bear-hug. Betty stood there frozen by the action, she saw Veronica smiling at them and passing her to talk to Mary; without breaking out of the hug Jughead spoke "You're the best Betty!!" leaving Betty confused. Betty somehow managed to ask "What happened??" she had no clue of what he was talking, Jug broke out of the hug looking happy "I just got off the phone from Charlie...he said how you asked him to help me write another story...and he agreed to help me write the novel again!! That's based on another true story" he exclaimed excitedly almost jumping in the place and he leaped on to her for another bear-crushing hug. Betty stood like a statue; she barely reacted after he mentioned Charlie while everything else he said after was brand new to her. "Archie!!" Mary's voice brought her back followed by the referee's whistle, Betty looked to the field to see the players crowing over something; seeing the commotion she panicky searched Archie's face amongst the helmets and her fear rose when she couldn't find him.