1 - Lunch with Friends*

*edited 12/6/20

The car ride to lunch was anything but relaxing.  Kenji's mouth was going a mile a minute the moment they got in the car.

"Oh my God GiGi!  You don't know happy I am that you're finally here!  We are going to have so much fun together and guess what?"

"What Kenji..."

"I met someone!!"

"Oh really?  Do tell, do tell!"

"Not till we meet up with the others!"

"Then why'd you even mention it!?"

"Because I'm so excited and he's hot!"

"Ok, Kenji.  There's more to finding someone than just hotness.  There needs to be substance!"

"Oh please, Gi.  Wait till you meet him!"

"Whatever dork!  So tell me about my new boss, since I will be his assistant, I at least want to know what to expect before I meet him."

"Patience Gigi!  We will fill you in once we get to the restaurant." 

"Fine."

Gideon knew there was no point in trying to get any information out of him.  Plus, she wanted him to concentrate on driving.  After about 30 minutes, the two arrived to a nice little restaurant.  She was excited to see Rei and Keiko, she also wanted to surprise her dad to let him know she had moved back.  Walking into the restaurant, screams and arms assaulted Gideon as Rei and Keiko both lunged and hugged her.  The three women all laughed, happy to see each other as others in the restaurant looked at them. 

"Hey guys!"

"Gigi!"

"Let's sit and talk."  Gideon followed them to the table, sitting next to Kenji.  They were having BBQ, Rei and Keiko had ordered already so the food was almost ready.  The three sat and enjoyed a delicious meal and chit-chat.  After the meal, Rei ordered beers but Gideon opted for tea since she didn't want to drink.  Now Gideon wanted answers.

"Ok you guys enough chit-chat I want answers!  Why wasn't I interviewed by Sanada-san?  Why have one of the senior members do it?"

"Ohh, Sanada-san never interviews, he leaves that to the senior members."

"Why not interview someone you want as your assistant?  How does he even know if we'll get along?  For all I know he could be a huge asshole!"  

Kenji almost choked on his beer.

"He trusts the senior members to pick someone that will get along with him."  Rei had a suspicious look on her face while giving answers.

"I call bullshit Rei!  There's something you guys aren't telling me.  If he turns out to be an ass, I'm gonna make your lives hell!"

"Oh chill out Gigi!  The job is super easy, you'll mostly be translating during meetings and accompanying him on business trips so relax."  

"I already know what the job responsibilities are, if it's so easy why didn't one of you take the job?"

"Uh...you speak more languages than we do."  Keiko thought that would be a good excuse.

"Oh please.  Sanada-san mostly does business within Asia because of his past experiences with American companies, even though he's considering doing another deal with them to purchase another office building.  So I don't buy your excuse Keiko-chan!"  

"How do you know that?"  Kenji was amazed that Gideon had researched so much about their boss.

"Hello?  I'd suck at my job if I didn't know what type of people and with whom he has business dealings with."  Gideon shook her heard.

"Yup, you're perfect for the job Gigi!"

Gideon didn't think much more about it.  She had no doubt that she was good at her job, and knew the ins and outs of the industry like a pro.  Assuming the senior members had relayed how the interview went and their impression of her, she let the issue go.  She would learn all she needed to next week when she started. 

"Ok my dears.  I need to go before it gets too late.  I want to surprise my dad at work!"

"Surprise him? Doesn't he know you're here?"  Rei thought surely Gideon told her dad about her new job.

"Nope!  He's going to freak when I tell him I moved back!"

The group laughed and said their goodbyes.  They would all hang out tomorrow as they helped Gideon shop and get settled into her new life.  The restaurant they were at was close enough that Gideon wanted to walk to her dad's office.  She just had a backpack, so it was fine.  Walking, she'd be there in less than 30 minutes.

Waving good-bye to everyone she headed down the street.