Chapter 3

When I fell, I felt pain. The pain wasn't bad, but I was acutely aware of its presence. Now, I'm laying at the bottom of the chasm, waiting for death to collect me in its sweet embrace. Slowly, I shatter. My legs are turning to dust. Then my torso. I know what's next. My head. I close my eyes and wait. I take a shuddering breath as my head shatters, turning to dust.

I wake up in a room. The walls and flooring are black as pitch, and there are two buttons in front of me, although one is greyed out. The viable one says, 'reset' while the other one says 'continue'. An invisible force pushes me to the buttons.

"Pick reset.. You can't choose the alternative.." A voice hisses. Hesitantly, I look around. "What are you waiting for? Press it!" It sounds irritated.

"Why? Who are you? W-Where am I?" I manage to say. My throat feels like sandpaper.

"Not important. Just.. Press the button. Obey." The voice sounds irritated. "Hurry."

"Explain first. I won't do anything until then." I say stubbornly. I may be.. Dead or something, but I won't allow a disembodied voice to persuade me to press a button. It sighs in annoyance.

"Fine. Normally, since your soul is pink, you would turn into a skeleton after death. Your soul would change colour, altering your personality. But, since the only other alive determined soul is.. Not able to be the resetter, you have been assigned that role. You can reset if you die, or experience deep emotional or physical pain or trauma. Happy? Now push the button!" Resetter, huh? That's.. Weird. I wonder who that other soul is.

"So.. About the skeleton part.. Were Sans and Papyrus once human, too?" I ask.

"Maybe. The skeleton-ness could just be genetic. If a skeleton breeds with a monster, the child will be a skeleton. If a skeleton breeds with a skeleton, the kid will be skeleton, but with slightly enhanced powers. Oh, and I forgot to mention. If a skeleton makes its way to the surface, it could potentially turn into a human. Button. Now." The voice explains. I sigh. Why do I even care about the origins of Sans and Papyrus? It's not like I have a reason to.. Besides, Sans is a jerk.

"Ok. I've probably wasted your time.. I'll just push the button. Sorry for the questions." I murmur. I approach the button cautiously. Slowly, I place my palm on it's smooth backside. Gathering my courage, I press it.

The room starts to spin. Where there was black, there is now grey. A child identical to the one that the fish lady brought in is standing in the corner. I try to call out, but as soon as I do, a drowning sensation engulfs me. I try to cry for help, but to no avail. The voice must have lied to me.. What is it with people who I trust turning out to be jerks? I decide not to prolong my inevitable fate, and stop struggling. I breathe in.

The liquid that fills my lungs is unfamiliar. It tastes partially bitter, with a sweet undertone. It feels like a sort of gel, almost. The last thing I remember is a voice telling me to 'Be strong, my beloved.. I'm here.'

oOoOoOoO

I wake up. I remember jumping.. Then pain.. Then black. I'm acutely aware of everything Sans did. I look around, taking in my surroundings. I'm standing in front of what looks like a snowed in cave. Cautiously, I teleport to the bar I went to with.. Him. I don't want to say his name. He reminds me too much of them.

It looks the same. The sign has the exact same snow pattern it did when I first saw it.. Icicles covering the bottom. I approach it gingerly. I breathe in, then out. I don't know what's going on, but no one else seemed to know about the resets. He must be.. Unique. I'm going to make friends, and perfect my magic. Then, I'll confront him. I don't want to remember what happened.. I desperately want the memories of both him and them to just.. Go away. They're too painful.