Chapter 23

I breathe in. 

"Hi. My.. Uh.. Sleeping bag is on the floor?" I prompt. Sans nods, gesturing to it.

"Yeah." He responds, slightly sheepish. "Uh.. Something up?"

"Nothing!" I snap, maybe a little too harshly. "Just.. I'm fine." I look at the ground.

"If you don't want to talk about it, that's fine. But I do know that something's up. And I'm sorry if I'm the cause of it." Sans says, comfortingly. He wraps his arm around me. I notice that it's very warm. He knows me too well.. He knows that I don't like to be pressured, but that I appreciate people asking. This is one of the reasons why Sans could never like me. I add it to a mental list.

"Thanks. Can we.. Just not talk about it? You really wouldn't understand." I chuckle weakly.

"I'm pretty sure I would, but I respect your privacy." Sans hums in my ear. I snuggle into his arm, my cheeks flush from embarrassment.

"Uh.. Who's Gylfie? Maybe I can set you two up on a date or something." I ask halfheartedly.

"Gylfie's.. Uh.. A flirtatious drunk bunny, heh.. I really don't know why I picked he- Um.. Why I like her." Sans quickly corrects himself. "She usually hangs out around Grillby's. Maybe you know her."

"Doesn't ring a bell. I'll look for her, though." I snuggle into Sans' side, the familiar scent of ketchup filling my nostrils. I breathe it in.

"Heh.. Ya don't have to, buddy. I'll manage my love life on my own." Sans squirms. I back away, thinking that I'm making him uncomfortable. He quickly pulls me back. "Keep doing that." He murmurs, putting his head on top of mine.

"Doing what?" I ask in reply.

"Snuggling by me. It's.. Uh.. Nice." Sans buries his face in my hair, wrapping his arms around me. He begins to throb.. Which is highly concerning.

"Why.. Why are you pulsing?" I ask, curious.

"Uh.. It's.. A heat thing, heh. When I'm around someone I li- Er.. Someone I'm close to, my body starts to do.. This." Sans pulls me closer. I relax into the embrace, his skeletal arms pulling me in. I notice that I'm almost sitting in his lap. I blush, scooching a bit away. Sans' grip doesn't relax.

"Y'know.. You really are the only person I can connect with, (Y/N). You're a great friend." Sans hums into my hair. Oof. The friendzone is not a happy place, it seems.

"Yeah.. You too. You're my best friend, Sans. Really." I respond softly.

"You too. You're mine too, kiddo." Sans suddenly releases me. I tumble forward slightly, almost falling off of the bed. "Heh.. Sorry, kiddo. Got a bit.. Carried away there.. Heh." Sans rubs the back of his neck. I smile at him.

"It's good. Glad I could be of service." I smile, giving a mock-bow. The absence of his warmth is painfully noticeable.

"Yeah.. We should get to sleep, heh. Wouldn't want Undyne to have to wake us up." Sans attempts to joke. I force a laugh, cuddling into my sleeping bag.

"Have a good rest, Sans." I smile at him.

"Y'know, kiddo.." Sans hesitates for a second. "You could move your sleeping bag onto the bed with me.. It'd probably be more comfortable that the floor." Sans shifts his bedsheets so that there's an open space.

"Thanks. Yeah, sounds.. G-Good." I can't help stuttering. I'll be.. In bed.. With my crush. I mentally steady myself. I've shared a bed with him before.. This time is no different. Besides.. He only thinks of me as a friend. I teleport my sleeping bag onto the mattress, smoothing it out with magic. I burrow into it, trying to get comfortable.

"Heh.. Good night, buddy." Sans flicks off the light. I can see the remnents of his glowing eye fade into the darkness.

"Good night, Sans." I murmur back. I can slightly feel his heat through the sleeping back, automatically pushing my body closer. He seems to do the same. I relax, trying to get sleepy. It's not working. Nuzzling into the pillow I brought, I let my mind wander. I lay in the bed for a solid fifteen minutes, opening my eyes slightly. I can see Sans' open eyes penetrating me. I avert my gaze, trying not to stare back.

"Heh.. I can tell that you're still awake." Sans chuckles.

"Yeah.. Can't sleep. Same with you, I'm assuming." I whisper back.

'Yep." Sans replies. He slightly hesitates. "Hey, we never did finish that game of twenty questions. It was my turn, I believe."

"Twenty que-" Right. From before.. Sans and I's first heart to heart. "Oh. Right. Yeah, sure. Shoot." I respond.

"Uh.. Let's see." Sans grows quiet. "What.. What's you're favourite colour?" He questions. I chuckle.

"A bit basic, don't you think?" I reply.

"Oh, shut it." Sans playfully replies. "Just answer the question."

"(F/C)." I reply. "I'd say black, but that'd make me sound too edgy. And besides, black isn't a colour, it's a shade." I chuckle a bit.

"Same as your magic.." Sans murmurs thoughtfully. "That's weird. My favourite colour is blue, and so is my magic. Our magic is similar, so there's probably a connection there."

"Don't be snow sure," I playfully joke. "Tibia honest, icy no major similarities.. Just a humerus coincidence." I joke. I hear Sans snort.

"Yeah, I shouldn't be soda-pressing." Sans gestures toward an empty soda can in the trash tornado. I chuckle.

"That's impressive. I see you're starting to.. Ketchup." I wink, though Sans can't see it.

"Heh.. I was offered a job at a mattress company. I asked if I could sleep on in." Sans jokes. We both chuckle.

"When you dream in colour, is it a pigment of your imagination?" I offer. Sans snorts.

"This is how an attorney sleeps; First, he lies on one side. Then the other." He whispers, trying to keep his voice low.

"I was trying to help someone fall asleep. I just said, 'Bursary' until they nodded off. It was the only nursery rhyme I could think of." I smirk. Sans takes a while to get the joke. When he does, he nods appreciatively, chuckling slightly.

"W-We should really get to sleep." Sans says, laughing.

"Agreed." I hum. I turn on my side, missing the warmth of Sans' leg pressed up against mine. Sans turns towards me again, trying to have us touch.

"Uh.. Can we be closer together? It'll help with my heat, hopefully." Sans asks.

"Sure." I agree. We turn towards each other. Sans awkwardly scooches closer. I follow, nuzzling into his chest. Sans' breath hitches. he hesitantly places his head on top of mine, resting it gently on my hair. Our legs are touching through the sleeping bag. I snuggle further into his chest, listening his soul throb. It's a deep sound, and it almost sounds like it's humming. It's nice.. Enthralling, even.

I close my eyes, enjoying the intimate position. A pang of sadness runs through me when I realize that the only time that Sans will ever willingly snuggle with me is during his heat. I hear soft snoring coming from Sans. His soul's pulse grows slightly slower. I listen to it, enjoying the deep thrum within his chest.

I remember a quote from the book I've been reading.. 'I fell in love the same way you fall asleep.. Slowly, then all at once'. The quote hits deep.. But real life isn't like a story. I may be falling in love, but Sans is still wide awake. He snores slightly. Okay, maybe not the best analogy.

Slowly but surely, I fall asleep the same way I fell in love, haunted by the memory of Sans' crush. Quickly and painfully.

A/N: Okay, sorry for the filler chapter, guys! I'm just feeling super tired tonight. At school, we did the Valentines exchange, and I ate way too much candy so now I'm crashing.

Life lesson here, guys! If you want to sleep at night, eat lots of candy. Capiche? (Catchphrase in Progress)