Chapter 47

I wake up in the Void, the dark walls familiarly abysmal of colour. I'm greeted by Gaster's looming face, the melted cracks painfully visible. I hastily wipe my eyes, trying to erase the dried tears that haunt them. I force a smile onto my face, making a slight fist with my right hand. Gaster merely shakes his head, handing me a tissue.

I let out a heavy sigh. "How did you know?"

"I can tell." He simply answers, offering me a small, albeit forced, smile. "I also own the uncanny ability to sense souls. This is what I wish to teach you. If you're willing, that is." He hastily adds, giving me a side glance.

"Yeah." I nod, crumpling the tissue, dabbing my eyes. The flimsy material rubs harshly against the sensitive skin, leaving slight, red marks in its wake.

"Splendid." Gaster's scarred face breaks into a grin. "I had assumed that you would approve of the exercise; Much like Sans, you prefer to drown your feelings in either drink or work."

I give him a somewhat blank stare, curiosity embedded into my subconscious. "How'd you know that?" I ask, my voice slightly hoarse.

"I, erm.." Gaster glances sideways slightly, then back at me. "Being in the Void allows me to sense the.. Emotions of my creations." He tilts his head slightly. "Other than Papyrus; During his experiment, he accepted the genome that would allow him to read souls in a.. Peculiar way. It decided to reverse, leaving him immune to soul reading, or as I like to call it, motiskenisis." Gaster finishes, his expression slightly sheepish. I flinch slightly, disliking being labeled as a 'creation'.

His face twitches back into one of indifference. "Apologies. I tend to get carried away; It's one of my flaws."

"It's fine." Even I'm surprised at the strange softness of my tone. "Why.." I clear my throat. "Why have you been absent for so long?"

"This particular lesson took an unusually large period of time to plan. Though simple, it requires strenuous amounts of preparation, and it may take a while for the recipient to fully learn." Gaster answers, glancing at me. "However, you and Sans were made.. To be particularly prone to developing this feature. Sans learned it without much trouble, and I expect you'll do the same."

"Nice." I reply.

"So." Gaster smiles at me, snapping his fingers. A textbook materializes in front of me, automatically flipping to page 394. (Ayy slight Harry Potter reference)

"Soul reading." I read aloud, glancing up at Gaster, my expression curious.

"Yes. Study the book, then tell me once you're finished." He instructs. I watch as he seemingly melts into the abyss of the void, his black cloak sweeping the floor. I turn back to the book, reading the paragraph.

It takes me a decently long while, but eventually, I manage to finish the novella length lesson.

"Uh.. Gaster!" I call into the Void, only feeling slightly ridiculous. "I finished!" As soon as I utter the last word, he melts back into existence, startling me.

"You're finished? Already?" He asks, surprised. I nod in confirmation, offering him a small smile.

"Yeah. Why?" I ask, my voice back to normal, for the most part. The only noticeable difference is the abnormal lack of sarcasm that usually coats my words.

"I had anticipated that you would take longer to complete the task." He struggles out, glancing somewhat sheepishly at the black of the ground.

"Well, it's fine though, right?" I ask, my tone speculating. "I mean, I may not have even gotten it. Don't we need to test it, first?" I suggest.