Chapter 16

"(Y/N). Sans. Would you like to take a seat?" Grillby greets us formally, a malicious smile forming on his face.

"Uh.. No offence Grillbz, but why are we the only people here?" Sans asks hesitantly, not wanting to offend the fire elemental.

"A few friends of yours rented out the place for you. Said something about an.. OTP, I think." Grillby's smile only grows, stretching across his enflamed face.

"Right.." I say. My face heats up at the mention of an OTP. I turn to Sans. "Do you still want to eat here, or..?" I trail off.

"Sure. May as well. Don't exactly have a second option." He shrugs. Grillby's flames rise momentarily higher, giving crackles of approvement.

"Wonderful. Let me lead you to your table." He walks us formally to the one booth that doesn't reek of alcohol. It seems recently cleaned. Sans and I sit down awkwardly. "What would you two like today?" Grillby says, keeping up the formal persona.

"Uh.. (Y/N), burger or fries?" Sans asks. I shrug.

"Whatever you're having." I answer. Sans hesitates for a moment.

"Burger.. I guess." He says, almost dejectedly. I wonder what caused the change of mood.

"Will you have any drinks?" Grillby offers. He writes down our order on a notepad that seems brand new. Sans raises an eyebrow, but neither of us comment on it.

"Sure.. I'll get a Sans special." He turns to me. "(Y/N)? Want anything?" I think.

"I'll just get a beer." I shrug. Grillby smiles.

"Right. I'll be back with your order. Feel free to socialize." He gives us a half smirk, flames popping. Sans turns to me as soon as Grillby is out of sight. He opens his mouth, then closes it.

"So.. Uh.. Whaddayou call it when an alcoholic feels something oddly familiar?" Sans smirks. "Deja brew." I chuckle. "Here's another- What do you say when you're going to drunk dial someone?" Sans' smile grows. "Alcohol you later." I laugh slightly.

"Ya know, You should never drink with ghosts. They can't really hold their.. Boos." We both chuckle. Sans leans back in his chair.

"Sorry about Undyne, by the way. She's convinced that I'm growing soggy and old, and that I'm gonna die alone." He smirks. "And she's right. Only I won't die due to the fact that the world won't let me." I let out a halfhearted chuckle. "So yeah.. Sorry that she's doing all this. I'll talk to her later.. But if she's started planning dates, it won't help much." I pale when he mentions dates. He chuckles awkwardly.

"Your food." Grillby arrives with a fancy looking brass platter. He places down a delicately made burger on each of our plates, as well as our alcohol of choice. Sans looks at the back of the ketchup bottle, muttering numbers for some reason. I take a bite of my burger, chewing thoughtfully. Grillby departs, leaving Sans and I alone again.

"Welp, I'm about ready to get wasted.. You up?" Sans asks with a sigh. I smirk.

"Of course. Race ya!" I immediately start to guzzle the beer, chugging around half the can. I look at Sans, who's almost finished his ketchup bottle. I look at him, speechless.

"Yeah.. We skeletons have a huge lung capacity." He winks at me. I choose not to mention the biological logistics that confirm the inaccuracy of his sentence, assuming that it's just magic. I down the rest of the can.

"Grillby! Could we please have a refill?" I ask. Sans looks at his hands, muttering numbers again.

"Yeah; I'll just have a glass of wine this time." I look at him. He looks back. "Well, we're technically on a date. May as well be classy." He flashes me a smirk, giving me jazz hands. I roll my eyes, smiling.