Delicate Balance (Yang Xiao Long)

She had flirted with you and you had played hard to get.

The chase was one of the best parts of courtships and Yang undoubtedly loved it, even if there were frustrating days where she wished she could just openly gush about the emotions she had for you. But having a crush, an eventual love, that was light and airy and none-too-serious to start drew her and her interest, and you couldn't help but notice how determined she was to woo you. You especially loved it when she leaned against the wall, looking cool as a cucumber, and asked what you were up to that day.

There had been some worry on your part that the relationship might lose it's novelty if the two of you were to actually get together if your relationship was to become official so the two of you continue this dance for longer than necessary; when you feel like Yang is attempting to close a gap you make a leap for an exit and hope that it'll continue as it always had. As much as you craved knowing her on a deeper love than the old song and dance you normally played you feared the change it might bring to your relationship.

But when Yang wanted something she was never one to beat around the bush.

"Why are you avoiding me?" You hadn't been prepared for such a confrontational conversation and you cringed at the weight of her words, fear instantly piercing your heart as you think she must be sick of you now. You had been worried the novelty would wear off if you began to date but it had done so anyway... While you were busy despairing at the loss of a relationship you'd grown to love having Yang wondered by you seemed so afraid of her now.

Had she done something wrong? Had she hurt your feelings in some way? When she had begrudgingly confided in her father her feelings for you he seemed to think that your connection meant a great deal and that it was likely you had feelings for her too but with the way you were acting now... perhaps he'd been wrong after all.

"Look, can I ask you something?" You nodded your head in response to her question, "I want to know if you like me. You know... like-like."

It sounded childish and stupid to say it that way but she couldn't think of any other way to get her feelings across appropriately. You break out into a smile at the phrase and try to continue your nervous laughter but realize you'd been holding your breath for no real reason. You had worried she'd come to cut off ties with you or to tell you off for something but instead she was courageously taking the next step without giving you a chance to run away. You don't know if you appreciate being cornered in such a way but there likely wasn't a chance she would've gotten a solid answer out of you otherwise, and if you truly had kept running away it was unlikely that your relationship with her would've changed at all.

"I do," You muttered, a smile still plastered on your face, "I 'like-like' you, Yang. Do you... feel the same way?"

"Well, yeah, of course. I wouldn't have asked you like this if I didn't-"

Yang rubbed the back of her head sheepishly while you giggled at her.

It seemed like you were both a bit inexperienced at the moment but... you'd learn how to navigate your blooming relationship together.