27

I had just gotten back from the bathroom when my phone rang. I glanced at the caller id and answered it.

"Hey bitch, you finally answered!" Frankie screamed.

"Hey Frankie, "I said quietly.

"Are you okay? Gerard just totally booked it outta here... He said something having to call you, but I didn't know what was going on, "he said quickly.

"He's going to call me?" I asked, looking at the clock.

"Yeah, he was on his way to do so. So, I guess you want to talk to him, then, "he said quietly.

"Do you know why he's going to call me?" I asked, wondering what he might need to talk to me about.

"I don't know, but it has to be important, "he said quietly. Just then, the call waiting beeped.

"He's calling. I'll call you back soon, "I said, switching lines.

"Hey, I'm glad I caught you, "he breathed quickly.

"Hey, Gerard, what's going on?" I asked, anxious to know what was so important.

"Listen, earlier, I went to go find out where Mikey went... And, I may be wrong, and I sure as shit hope I am, but there was a girl leaving the bathroom that Mikey came out of a few seconds later..."He said quietly.

"Oh, maybe she had to go and the women's was closed..."I offered hopelessly. I didn't want to believe what I knew was true.

"I would have accepted that, except it was the exact same stall..."He said as if he was pained to say so.

"Oh, "I choked quietly.

"I'm sorry, but I had to tell you..."He apologized.

"Thank you, Gee, "I said quietly. I just shut my phone. I had nothing else to say to him. I curled up in a ball at the head of the bed and cried. I shook uncontrollably. This wasn't happening. He wouldn't do that to me! He promised he wouldn't ever do that to me. This can't be real! I felt the hot tears burn my cheeks and my throat became sore. After a while, I glanced at the clock and decided I could probably call Frankie. I dialed his number and he answered it almost immediately.

"Hey, that took you long enough, "he scoffed.

"I'm sorry, "I said hoarsely.

"Whoa, wait, what the hell? Have you been crying?" He asked quickly.

"It's nothing, "I muttered quietly.

"You suck at lying. What happened, honey?" He asked softly.

"I just... I don't know what to believe anymore..."I said quietly, feeling the tears rise again.

"Was it something that Gerard said?" He asked angrily.

"Yeah, but it's not Gerard's fault..."I said quickly, as the tears spilled over.

"Whose ass do I have to kick?" He asked, now infuriated. I took a couple deep breaths.

"When are you guys off next?" I asked, wanting to see him desperately.

"I think we'll be off next Friday. Why?" He asked, sounding no less angry.

"I just, I want to see you, "I said quietly.

"Well, so be it, "he said definitely.

"What does that mean?" I asked, confused by his certainty.

"It doesn't matter right now. I love you and I'll talk to you soon, "he said before hanging up. I closed my phone and sat in wonder on Gerard's bed. I decided I was going to go downstairs to talk with Nancy.

"Oh, hello dear, I was wondering if you were okay, "she said as I walked into the kitchen. I nodded slowly. "What's wrong, baby girl?" I just shook my head. I didn't feel like telling her what Gerard had told me.

"It's nothing, "I lied, forcing a smile.

"Well, "she smiled back. "Let's have some cheesecake."