47

I was out running errands around town with Ray when my cellphone rang.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hello, is this Mrs. Way?" The caller asked.

"Yes, but who is calling?" I asked, handing a letter to Ray for him to put in the mailbox.

"This is Dr. Howard, "he introduced. "It's urgent that you get to the hospital as soon as you can."

"I'll be there in about five minutes, "I said, closing my phone. I quickly turned around and sped in the direction of the hospital. Ray sat fearfully in the passenger seat.

"So, this may be weird to ask, but where are we fucking going?" He asked nervously.

"Hospital, "I replied simply. As was my word, I pulled into the parking lot of the hospital about five minutes later. I pulled Annabelle out of her car seat and shut the door. I walked briskly through the doors and Ray soon followed.

"May I help you?" The receptionist asked.

"Yes, "I replied. "Doctor Howard just called and told me to get here as soon as I could." She nodded and proceeded to give me directions. The directions took me to the door of Gerard's room. I felt a shiver fight its way up my spine. Doctor Howard soon came from the room and seemed almost startled to see me.

"Hello, Mrs. Way, "he smiled. "I didn't expect you to really be here that soon."

"I'm very punctual, "I smirked. "So, what's going on?"

"Well, it seems that Mr. Way isn't improving, "he said slowly. "In my opinion, this was his eternal sleep."

"No, "I choked. "I mean, people wake up from these comas all the time..."

"Yes, but Mrs. Way, it's been almost six months..."He explained quietly. I choked back tears.

"I'd have to discuss this with his mother and brother, "I said quietly. "I want to see him..."He nodded and let me into the room. I closed the door behind me and I walked over to the bed. Annabelle's eyes seemed to widen in horror.

"Da!" She shrieked. I raised a brow. She wriggled in my arms. I sat down in the chair and she all but threw herself from my arms. She reached frantically for Gerard's hand. Her tiny finger grasped his finger. "Da, "she huffed quietly. I closed my eyes, racking my brain for any and all explanations for this. She began giggling in delight and I looked up to see what was going on. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The corner of his mouth drew up into a smile. He was watching his finger in his baby's grasp.

"Hey, Bella, "he said hoarsely. He looked over to me. "Reese, "he smiled. I pinched my arm, trying to figure out if I was dreaming again.

Fuck , I thought. That fucking hurt. I felt the realization hit me like a ton of bricks. I just stared at him for a minute. "Gerard, you're alive..."