46

I was sitting next to Patrick. It'd be almost three months since the shooting and there were no signs of Gerard's condition neither improving nor worsening. Patrick and I were in the middle of discussing Fall Out Boy's new album when Annabelle began giggling shrilly. I ran back to her bed and she was giggling and squirming as if someone was tickling her. Patrick was soon at my side to see what was going on. She was playing with the air as if she was trying to catch something. Patrick leaned against the doorway.

"This may sound strange, but it looks like she's trying to grab something, "he remarked. I nodded and we both watched her. After a little while, her face screwed up into a look of dismay and she began reaching frantically towards the air. She began wailing loudly and I picked her up.

"Shh, "I said softly. It's okay. Mama's got you." This seemed to frustrate her even more so. Mikey soon appeared at the doorway, a look of worry in his eyes. Patrick tried to explain what happened and he seemed just as baffled as we were. He reached out to hold her, but she let out a piercing howl. He recoiled quickly, obviously hurt by her negativity towards him. He frowned as she continued crying. I thought frantically of ways to calm her down. Patrick looked at her before looking at me.

"Try calling her Bella, "he suggested softly. I raised a brow. "I have a theory... Just, try it."

"Calm down, Bella, "I cooed quietly. She almost instantly stopped. She looked at me for a minute. "What's wrong, Bella?" She looked over my shoulder and smiled slowly. I felt a shiver find its way up my spine. I looked at Mikey who seemed as confused as Patrick and I both.

"Da!" She giggled. I looked at Mikey whose eyes were wide.

"Dude, I think she just said Dad, "Patrick stated, locking eyes with me.