48

He smiled softly at me. We sat in silence for a few minutes before Annabelle made a giggle noise as Gerard poked her nose. She laughed in delight and I couldn't help but smile.

"Mrs. Way, I'm sorry, but we really aren't supposed to allow children to..."Dr. Howard stopped abruptly. "Well, what do you think of that? It seems he has something worth living for." He smiled warmly. Gerard looked at him for a minute. "Mr. Way, we'll have to do a few tests. How are you feeling?"

"Very refreshed, "he laughed weakly. I scoffed at his nonchalant tone. Dr. Howard smiled at him.

"Well, I'm glad to hear that. We'll let you talk for a little bit while we get things together. We'll run a few more tests and then, we'll see when you can leave. Does that sound good to you?" He asked, checking something on a clipboard. Gerard nodded and he left.

"So, how long have I been out?" He asked, looking back at me.

"Next Friday would've marked the six month, "I said softly. His eyes widened and then, he looked down at the bed.

"Bella's six months old..."He said slowly. I nodded.

"Wait, you called her Bella?" I asked suddenly. He nodded slowly. Then, it hit me. "I think she feels connected with you." He looked up at me and tilted his head.

"What do you mean?" He asked, playing with her hands.

"When you were out of it... She would have fits... And the only thing that would calm her down was either some calling her Bella or one of your albums playing, "I said quietly.

"Hmm, what do you think of that?" He smiled at her. He picked her up and she wrapped her tiny arms around his neck. She attempted to kiss him cheek and I felt my heart melt. I bit my lip and thought silently for a few minutes. He looked back up at me. "What are you thinking about?" I just shook my head. "Tell me, Reese."

"I don't know... She absolutely rejects Mikey... She refuses to be held be him... I just noticed how she acts with you and it really makes me wonder how this is going to work..."I said softly. Annabelle was tangling her fingers in his hair and he laughed at her, but then looked seriously back at me.

"She is my daughter, "he said softly.

"I know that... Maybe we shouldn't pretend you're not. I mean, she obviously knows the difference..."I suggested slowly.

"I don't know... Mikey loves her..."He said quietly. I nodded, but then bit my lip.
"But she's not really his, "I stated. He nodded again. Just then, the doctor came back. I took Annabelle and we went back to see Ray.

"So, what's going on?" He asked anxiously.

"Oh, he woke up, "I said, still lost in thought.

"You say it like it's nothing!" He exclaimed. I just shrugged and Annabelle reached back towards the room. I walked down the hallway and out the front door. I put her in the car and got in the driver's seat. I had to go tell the guys, and I had to think this over.