XIII

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | The people's love

{ Joffrey }

✧✦✧

𝕿he shade of the pavilion provided a comforting reprieve from the heat of the summer. Joffrey took a deep breath, leaning back and continuing to bask in the sun, listening to the sounds of the harbor below him. 

"We should visit the city," Joffrey opened an eye lazily, turning to watch Lyra carefully. "We should. I have yet to go, despite having lived here for a year."

"That's because the city is dangerous," Joffrey pointed out.

"We can take Elia," He huffed at the thought, sitting back up once more, as he rolled the sleeves of his shirt back down. Due to the abnormal heat of the day, he had long since abandoned his dark jacket and left himself in the white shirt that he normally wore underneath. It was too hot to be wearing multiple layers. 

"Lyra..." The Stark woman turned to look at him, also wearing a lighter dress designed to combat the heat.

"Flea Bottom may be a good place to start," Joffrey shook his head, looking at her.

"Flea Bottom is where the poorest people in the city live," Lyra shook her head, shrugging her shoulders as if it meant little to her. 

"Just because they are not born with the same fortunes that we are, does not make their lives any less valuable than our own," Joffrey licked his lips, before relenting and standing up once more.

"Okay, but we're taking Clegane and your guard," Lyra nodded, whistling for Elia as she hooked her arm through his.

"I can live with that," Lyra repented, following Joffrey back through the walled guard to the exit, where the Hound and Lyra's guard, Tylar, stood conversing quietly. 

"Clegane, saddle the horses and prepare some guards," The Hound raised an eyebrow, as Tylar looked at Lyra with a knowing glint in his eyes. "My Lady would like to go into the city, so we are."

"Of course, Your Grace," The Hound walked away, as Lyra turned towards her own guard, who had a knowing smirk on his face.

"Not a word, Tylar," Joffrey watched the interaction with a raised eyebrow.

"I haven't said anything, my Lady," She narrowed her eyes, before he raised his hand in the air and followed the older guard off to the stables. Joffrey turned back to look at Lyra, pulling his jacket on as he did.

"What was that about?" Lyra rolled her eyes, a small smile on her face.

"Tylar likes to tease me," She chuckled, before hooking an arm through Joffrey's and following him down to where the stables were located. The man nodded, before they reached where the stables were located. "Thank you, for doing this."

"Well, you are right," Joffrey admitted slowly. "I should be respecting everyone under my charge, not just those that I deem important."

A squadron of guards were standing around, waiting for the king and his betrothed. Joffrey waited for Lyra to climb onto her horse, before jumping onto his own. He motioned for the gates to be opened, before allowing the guards to lead them out of the main courtyard and into the city below. 

As they traveled further down, into the bottom layers of the city, and closer to the Mud Gate, Joffrey grew more concerned. He watched everyone around him, their ragged clothing and sad expressions. The streets had slowly deteriorated into squalor, all at the hands of his own father.

"Stop here," Lyra came to a stop next to him, her face sad at the state of things around them. Joffrey dismounted his horse, as Lyra did the same, though she stayed close to her own guard, handing out food to the children around her.

Joffrey continued forward, as people stepped away from him quickly. He continued to look around, before tensing as a boy ran straight into his legs. The guards were instantly on high alert, but Joffrey waved them away. The boy was no threat.

He was barely ten, with dark hair and large brown eyes. He was too skinny, and so frail that it seemed a mere gust of wind could knock him over. The boy glanced up, before realizing who it was and bowing quickly. 

Joffrey caught the child as he fell over, shaking his head.

"None of that," The boy glanced back up, trembling slightly. "You can call me Joffrey. What's your name, my Lord?"

The small boy giggled at the sound of the title, shaking his head. Joffrey's lip curled up into a half-smile, before he knelt down to be closer to hear the boy's answer.

"Drew,"

"Well, Lord Drew," The boy laughed again, as some others did around the street. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"And you, Your..." The boy trailed off at Joffrey's face, before correcting himself. "Joffrey."

"What do you want to be when you grow up, Lord Drew?" Drew bit his lip, tilting his head as he thought.

"I want to be a knight, and save people," Joffrey nodded. The boy believed that he was going to be a knight, but Joffrey knew that the chances of that happening was still relatively small.

"Well, Lord Drew, give it a few more years and then we'll see what happens, okay?" The boy nodded and the crowd also began to laugh at his antics. Joffrey could hear Lyra's little giggle from behind him, causing his lip to quirk up into a half-smile. 

"Drew?" A panicked voice called from the back of the crowd, which moved to let a woman through. She rushed to the front, wrapping her arms around the little boy. "Drew, don't run off..."

She trailed off when she saw who her son was talking to, dropping into a curtsy at the sight of the King. Just like her son, the woman was thin and frail, but it was obvious that the little boy was in better condition than she was.

"Your Grace, my Lady. I apologize for my son, please forgive him." Joffrey shook his head, standing back up as he brushed his trousers off.

"There was no harm caused, my Lady," Joffrey nodded his head. "He was just telling me that he wanted to be a knight."

She nodded, curtsying once more, as she wrapped her arms around the smaller boy. Joffrey turned, looking around at the rest of the crowd, all of whom were equally dirty, frail and shivering despite the heat of the day.

"I had no idea that you're living conditions were like this," They all quietened down at the man's words, and Joffrey felt a lot of eyes on him, but for once, he did not feel any pressure about saying these things and making the promises. "And I am appalled that my father let it get to this point. Maybe you won't trust my word, but I promise you that I will change this. I will help you in whatever way I can."

There was a pause, before those surrounding them began to cheer, shouting praises at the young king, who was making choices that no one else would. Turning around, Joffrey caught eyes with Lyra, who was grinning like a fool and clapping him on.

Hiya,

See, I did manage to get a double update in here. I hope you enjoyed it and everything. Thank you for the 3k reads and almost 140 votes.

Joffrey is just *chefs kiss*.

Thanks and see you soon,

Love Li xxx