XVI

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | Riots

{ Lyra }

✧✦✧

𝕾tanding on the docks, Lyra felt her heart sink as she watched the boat sail out to sea. If she focused hard enough, Lyra was sure that she would be able to see Myrcella looking back at them and crying. 

Tightening her grip on her betrothed's arm, Lyra looked up at the older teen, who's face was as blank as a slate.

"Joffrey..." He didn't make a move to acknowledge her voice, but Lyra knew that he had heard her. She trailed off, unsure of how to approach this. Nothing she could say would make the teenager feel any better about sending his little sister away to Dorne. "She'll be a lot safer there than here."

"I should be able to protect her," Joffrey muttered, as the High Septon continued to prattle on behind them. "I am the king. That's my job."

"You're the king, which means that you have a large target on your back," Lyra reminded him gently, squeezing his hand. "She will be fine. Dorne will be good for her, I just have this feeling about that."

"I hope you're right," The boy ground out, before dropping her hand and spinning away, marching back towards the Red Keep. Lyra watched him go with furrowed eyebrows, before linking her arm with Sansa's.

"Is he okay?" The girl asked quietly, as the Queen Regent seemed to grow bored with standing there, and turned away to walk back to the castle.

"I'm not entirely sure," Lyra murmured in reply, before leading her sister back up towards the keep. She could make out Joffrey's outline in the distance, walking with his younger brother and uncle.

"Hail Joffrey! Hail to the King. Seven blessings on you, Your Grace," The crowd was beginning to shout towards Joffrey, who nodded and handed out coins where he could. Lyra smiled as she watched him interact, and even though there was a level of detachment that radiated around him, Joffrey was kinder than he used to be.

"Murderer! Freak!" Lyra tuned back into what was being said, her eyes darting around at the angry crowd. Leaning back, the eldest Stark girl tilted her head towards Arah.

"Arah, get Sansa back to the keep, now. I'll join you," Arah nodded, hooking an arm through Sansa's and leading her back towards the keep. Lyra watched them go, handing money out to some of the people around her. The cries continued to get louder, more shouts being heard. 

Looking up, Lyra caught eyes with Joffrey, who had turned around to look at her. He nodded as if to say hurry up, slowing his pace, as Lyra started to brush past others to get to her betrothed. Ducking her head past some more of the Kings Guard, she had almost made it when a ball, of what seemed to be horse shit, went flying over her head to hit the queen.