XIX

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | Wildfire

{ Joffrey }

✧✦✧

𝕿he continuous tolling of the bells rung through Joffrey's mind, as his stomach twisted into knots. The last straps on his armor was being buckled up, the weight of it slowly pushing him down as he thought. Finally, Rolan, his personal steward stepped away and passed Joffrey his sword and helmet.

Strapping the belt around his waist, Joffrey took little comfort in the familiar weight of his sword on his waist. In fact, it still did little to ease his nerves. Chewing on his lips, Joffrey left the room and began down the stairs towards the throne room, where he was sure that he was going to meet Tyrion.

Entering from the back doors of the hall, he saw that Tyrion was already there, talking to Lyra and her sister. She seemed to have a sixth sense for when he entered rooms, as Lyra looked up almost immediately and smiled. It calmed his nerves momentarily, but it hit him again full force as invasive thoughts began to enter his mind.

Lyra seemed to have noticed once more, excusing herself from the conversation as she swept over to Joffrey. He reached out, threading his hands through hers as she smiled.

"Stay safe," She murmured, as Joffrey nodded, tightening his grip on her hands. "Come back in one piece to me."

"For you, I'd cheat death," Joffrey replied, as more guards began to filter into the room, preparing to leave. "You also have to promise me that you'll stay safe."

"The only threat to me in this castle is your mother, but I doubt she will kill me in front of all the ladies in the court," Joffrey shook his head, before Lyra smiled up at him. "I'll be fine and if it comes to the worst, I'll call for Elia."

"I'll see you when this is all over," Joffrey grinned, before Lyra stood on her tip toes to place a kiss on the teenager's cheek, which flushed under her touch as he shot her a half-smile. She nodded, before Joffrey turned and walked away towards his uncle, who was watching him with narrowed eyes. "Let's go."

Tyrion nodded, before they left the safety of the keep and began to storm down towards the Mud Gate, where the remainder of the battle preparations were underway. The streets were filled with soldiers and panicked civilians, all trying to push through one and other. Joffrey sighed, before catching sight of someone from the corner of his eye. He did a double take, before his eyes narrowed at who it was.

"Stop here," Tyrion looked at the teenager in confusion, as the boy pushed through his soldiers to come to a stop in front of Drew. The smaller boy was watching the soldiers in awe, and it took him a moment to notice Joffrey, who crouched down in front of him. "What are you doing here, Drew? You should be getting to a safe place."