XXIX

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 | True lineage

{ Joffrey }

✧✦✧

𝕿he late afternoon sun cast a warm glow over the balcony of the Stark residence. Lyra was reading a book from the Royal library, her legs curled beneath her, and Elia sprawled at her feet. It was distracting for the young king, who could not focus on the Small Council notes that he was supposed to be reviewing.

"You know, I can feel you staring," Joffrey barely reacted, fighting down the blush that was threatening to appear on his cheeks. She glanced up, marking her page in the book, before crossing to sit beside him and stare over his shoulder. "What are you working on?"

"Small Council notes," Joffrey replied, handing them over for Lyra to read, as he scratched Elia's ear. "Nothing too important, it's just that finance is incredibly tedious."

"Then you should take a break," Lyra replied, reading through the notes as she padded into the main atrium. Joffrey grabbed her book from the seat, whistling for Elia to follow them back into the room. "I can look this over."

"You'll do a better job than me, I am sure," He sat down in a seat, leaning his head back as he watched her once more, taking in the small smile that she had on her lips.

"That's because I am not exhausted," Lyra replied, grabbing a quill from the desk to start writing as Joffrey hummed. "Please tell me that you slept last night."

"There was too much work for me to do," Joffrey waved it off, as Lyra huffed.

"Joff..." The blond man licked his lips at the sight of Lyra's concerned face. Reaching over, he wrapped his fingers through hers and squeezed gently.

"I want to make sure everything's perfect for our wedding," He murmured, as she smiled softly. "You deserve that."

"I would also like my betrothed to be awake at the wedding," He sent her a half-smile, before she turned back to the finances, and he continued to watch her.

A knock on the door did little to startle the pair, both lazily turning to watch it open, as Tylar appeared, a mischievous smirk on his face.

"Your Grace," Tylar sent him a bow, which Joffrey rolled his eyes at, ignoring the Northern knight. He went straight to Lyra, placing a letter down in front of her. "My Lady. I was wondering whether Arah and I can get the afternoon off?"

"Of course," Lyra replied, looking up briefly from the notes to shoot him a look. "Why?"

"We're plotting to kill you," Tylar shrugged, ruffling Elia's fur as Lyra laughed. "No, I am attempting to woo your lovely handmaid and that's quite hard when she's working. We'll see you later."