XXI

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄 | Counterattack

 {Joffrey}

✧✦✧

𝕳e had seen Lancel running towards him about five minutes ago, and Joffrey was trying his best to ignore the frightened man. So far, he had succeeded, but it seemed that his luck was running out, as Lancel approached.

"Your Grace," The man took a moment to catch his breath and compose himself, as Joffrey raised an eyebrow in annoyance. "The queen has sent me to bring you back to the Red Keep."

"Why would I do that?" Joffrey sneered, as he noticed Tyrion watching his with wide eyes. It was as if his uncle believed that run along at his mother's every beck and call. "I'm the king and it's my duty to protect my city and it's people."

"But, the queen..."

"Tell my mother that I will be staying on the battlefield," Joffrey continued, cutting the man off with a dark glare. Lancel bowed slightly, before rushing away from the battlefield and back towards the Red Keep, as Tylar appeared beside the young king. 

The sound of a battering ram drew their attention back towards the Mud Gate. The soldiers beneath them were starting to chatter in fear, watching the gate with wide eyes

"How are you faring?" Tylar asked quietly, noticing that Joffrey's eyes were narrowed in thought. The teenager shrugged his shoulders, as Tylar hummed.

"We need to do something about the soldiers. They can't be allowed to breach the walls," Joffrey replied, before looking down at the Lannister guards beneath him, none of whom looked motivated. He turned back, before glancing over the parapet at the soldiers on the beach, shaking his head ever so slightly.

"I'll lead the attack," Tylar had straightened up at Tyrion's words, as Joffrey did the same, looking back at his uncle with a tilted head. "I will lead this attack."

Joffrey leant forward, listening to what his uncle had to say, as the soldiers watched the smaller man. It was bizarre for the young king to see his uncle like this, as Tyrion was normally drinking around the town with not a care in the world.

"There's another way out, we're going to show you so we can come out behind them and fuck them in their arses," The battering ram continued to hit the gates, which creaked under the assault. "Don't fight for the king or his kingdoms. Don't fight for honor, don't fight for glory, don't fight for riches cause you won't get any. This is your city Stannis means to sack. That's your gate he's ramming. If he gets in, it'll be your houses he burns, your gold he steals, your women he will rape."

Tylar nudged the young king, tightening his grip on his sword as he began to talk quietly.

"You don't have to fight in this," Joffrey shook his head. "You're the king and you have to stay alive."

"I thought you didn't like me," The Stark guard shrugged, shaking his head.

"I don't, but Lyra does. You have to stay alive to get back to her," Tylar replied, drawing his own sword and grabbing his helmet. "If you don't, your mother will kill her, and Sansa, before the night is over."

"I know that, but I will not stay out of this fight," Joffrey replied, grabbing his helmet from beside him, as he wiped some dried blood off of his cheek. "This is my city too."

"All right, then let's go kill some bastards," Tylar's Northern accent shined through as he grinned at the smaller man. Joffrey huffed, before leading the man down the stairs, and following Tyrion towards the sewer system, which would allow them to appear behind the enemy lines. 

Tyrion took the first shot, striking the commander down with a swift blow from his axe, before calling for the rest of the soldiers to charge.

Joffrey threw himself into the fray at the call, stabbing and swiping at anyone who got too close to him, as he tried to make a dent in the Baratheon forces. Droplets of blood sprayed into his face, as he tried to wipe it out of his eyes.

Tylar was battling to the left of him, spinning around on his heel to take out any that got behind the pair with a violence that Joffrey had never seen before. In some ways, it reminded him of Lyra's anger that he had seen only a few times.

The Lannister soldiers began to turn over the boats, letting archers set fire to them from above and Joffrey took off his helm to admire the work that the small army had achieved. Most of the Baratheon soldiers lay dead, or dying, on the beach with no way to get back to their ships that were further out in the bay.

He pulled some of his undershirt out from beneath his armor, wiping the blood out of his eyes and hissing as he brushed a bruise on the side of his jaw, where someone had managed to elbow him.

"Oh fuck," Joffrey snapped his head in the direction that Tyrion was gazing in, also cursing when he saw the second Baratheon army charging towards them. He wanted to curse, but there was little chance to do much, other than pull his helmet back on, before the army overran them.

A hatchet flew at Joffrey's face, slicing through his cheek, as he cursed and pushed his sword up through the weak points between the arm and breastplate. Tylar yanked the soldier off of Joffrey, pulling him back to his feet as they continued to dodge and swipe at others in the army.

Glancing to his left, Joffrey quickly sprinted over to where Tyrion was lying, a member of the Kings Guard standing over to him with his sword raised. The sword was brought down, and Joffrey felt a burning sensation radiate through his left arm, as the blade slipped through a gap in his armor.

Red clouded Joffrey's vision, as he pulled the sword out, and plunged his own upwards, sinking in through a member of his own Kings Guard's chest. A knight that had been sworn to protect him under any circumstances. 

Another Baratheon soldier sprinted at him, causing Joffrey to swing his sword at the man's legs. It didn't have as much power in it as normal, due to the king's left arm now being incapacitated. He hissed, as waves of pain continued to radiate through his shoulder and down his left arm. The soldier fell, Tylar appearing behind him to watch the king in concern, as the ground began to rumble beneath them.

Looking behind, Joffrey's eyebrows furrowed at the sight of Lannister and Tyrell horses thundering towards them, hundreds of soldiers screaming loudly as the Baratheon soldiers began to run for their lives.

"Move!" Tylar yanked Joffrey back, both of them ducking behind a burning boat as the horse began to gallop past, spears and arrows flying as they cut the Baratheon men down like they were no more than training dummies.

They were saved by the cavalry.

Hiya,

Three more chapters until the end of this part. Joffrey was an absolute badass in this part, as was Tylar. Just for context, Tylar is about 6ft 5, hence why he stares down at Joffrey instead of the other way around.

Love Li xx