Chapter Twelve: The Broccoli

Jinwoo spent three days following his mommy everywhere. They played, read books, and were basically inseparable. Jisoo had anticipated this behavior. However, she didn't anticipate Jennie including her in their activities.

After an extensive session of racing cars in the living room, Jennie talked to Jinwoo allowing her and momma to do some big people stuff in the kitchen.

Dirty dishes were piling up, and Jisoo could tell it was unsettling for Jennie. Even though Jennie wasn't as determined with everything being spotless, the clutter was beginning to get to her.

A short time later, Jinwoo scampered into the kitchen.

"Mommy, I want Broc-ee."

Jennie did a double take. "You want what honey?" Surely Jinwoo wasn't asking for what she thought he was.

"Broc-ee. Broc-ee." Jinwoo pulled on the refrigerator door handle, desperately trying to open it.

Jisoo looked at Jennie perplexed state. "Jen? You alright?"

"Did he just ask for broccoli?"

Jisoo chuckled, "Yeah."

Though Jennie's memories hadn't returned, she was doing quite well with mothering Jinwoo. And her son didn't seem to notice when Jennie was unfamiliar with something.

"Mommy broc-ee!"

"He eats broccoli," Jennie stated more than asked.

"You're broccoli," Jisoo corrected.

"My broccoli? What's that supposed to mean?" Jennie was starting to panic. "Jisoo, I burn water remember?" she said softly, imploring Jisoo with her eyes to help her out.

Jisoo went to the fridge and took out the bag of cut up broccoli. "Get the steamer," she told Jennie.

"Where is it?"

"I'll get it!" Jinwoo squealed, running over to a cabinet.

He pulled out from a lower cabinet a three-piece plastic set and handed it up to his mommy as thought it were a prize.

"Mommy Broc-ee."

Jennie took it from him and went over near Jisoo.

Jisoo ran water into the bottom of the steamer, placing a strainer type layer filled with broccoli then covered it with the plastic lid. She placed it in the microwave and was stopped by Jinwoo's shout.

"No! Mommy do!"

Jisoo lifted her hands in surrender and mouthed 'three minutes' to Jennie.

Jisoo told Jinwoo she needed to take the bowl out of the microwave because of mommy's owie to keep from another outburst.

Jennie stood next to her as Jisoo scooped out the broccoli and put it in a larger bowl. "That's it?"

"Not quite," Jisoo said out of the corner of her mouth to Jennie. "Get the Italian dressing."

Jennie took in a breath before turning and retrieving the bottle of salad dressing from the fridge and returning back.

Jisoo softly nodded as she added it into the bowl with the broccoli.

"He's gonna eat all this?" Jennie asked her.

Jisoo nodded before Jennie turned, carrying the bowl to the dining room, where Jinwoo anxiously stood waiting.

Jisoo set her son in his high chair. Jinwoo sat looking at the bowl after Jennie set it on his tray. His brown eyes lifting to look into his mommy.