Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Man

A/N: The angst are worth it because of the good ending.😘

•••

Jennie arrived the next morning before Jinwoo woke. A large latte in hand. Another sleepless night.

Jisoo followed Jennie to the kitchen. When Jennie turned, she stood.

"Where are you staying?" Jisoo asked softly.

"Not with Lalisa, if that's what you're wondering."

"Jennie, please. I need to know you're okay."

Jennie crossed her arms over her chest. "Jisoo, I'm a big girl. I'm taking care of myself."

Jisoo's hand rose and she stroked Jennie's cheek with the backs of her fingers. Jennie lips parted at the movement.

When Jisoo looked at her, the old Jennie was gone. With all that had happened since that dinner party weeks ago, Jisoo thought for sure she'd become what she had been.

It confused Jisoo that Jennie hadn't. And, when she looked at Jennie, she wanted to get lost in her.

Jisoo's hand slid to Jennie's nape, tugging softly to bring Jennie closer.

Jennie wanted this. Her. But, as Jisoo lowered her head to Jennie, Jennie saw the lack of trust in Jisoo's eyes.

Just before Jisoo's lips touched hers, Jennie ducked and turned out of her hold and away from Jisoo.

"I can't," Jennie whispered.

"Can't? Or won't you, Jennie?"

Jennie turned and looked at her. "What?"

"This is just like before. You pull away." Jisoo stepped closer, looking down into Jennie's sleepy eyes. "You want to. I can see it."

"Yes, Jisoo. I want to. But, I can't."

"Why?"

"Because there's something missing. Trust."

"You're asking an awful lot on this one, Jennie," Jisoo told her. "You spend your nights God knows where. I can see you're hiding something when I look at you. And you want me to ignore all that and trust?"

"I'm asking you to believe in me. To be patient while I work through things."

"We need to work through things, Jennie. Why are you doing this alone? Again."

"Because you can't give me the answers I'm looking for."

"Then, tell me where you go at night."

"I'm in a hotel, Jisoo."

Jisoo cocked her head to the side. "A hotel. And, just how are you paying for it?"

"Same way I paid for groceries before the accident."

"Which is..."

"Jisoo, please. I hate when you do this!"

"Do what? Care about where you are?"

"No. Want to know everything. I can't tell you everything. Not yet. I need alone time to work things out."

"And, what's left for me, us, when you work things out?"

Jennie looked down to the latte cup she held in her hands. "I don't know."

Jisoo yanked her jacket on and left the house. Jennie wasn't ready to tell her all she'd uncovered the past week.

Jennie had today to get everything done. The contract was due by end of day tomorrow. Then, Jisoo know it all.

But, how would Jisoo react to Jennie deceit of all she'd hidden from her the past few years?