Chapter Forty-Eight: The Scary Feeling

A/N: Btw I changed Jennie's call to Jisoo's parents. It's Aunt & Uncle.

•••

When Jennie woke up, she was lying on the loveseat, covered with a Christmas throw.

As she approached the kitchen, she saw Jisoo and her family getting dinner ready. Table set.

"Aunt Taeyeon," Jennie called as she walked over to her. "I am so sorry. You shouldn't have to do this. You're a guest."

Taeyeon patted Jennie's cheek. "You needed sleep more than cooking more for all of us."

"Where's Jinwoo?"

"Unnie's getting him up from his nap," Jisoo told Jennie.

Later that evening, after Jinwoo was tucked in and passed out, Jennie sat with the adults as they began their annual card game.

Jennie enjoyed sitting back and watching the dynamics of Jisoo's family. Whatever game they were playing, they'd added rules of their own.

"Jen, we're starting a new round. Come on and play," Joohyun invited her.

Jennie held up her hands, "No thanks. You guys are a little intense for me."

It took some push, but they'd convinced Jennie to join in. Joohyun agreed to coach the first couple of hands.

Joohyun leaned in close. "Sooya's really good at this game. She knows it. I've been trying for years to beat her butt."

Jennie looked over at Jisoo and inspected her more closely.

"What?" Jisoo asked. She wasn't so sure about Jennie and Joohyun at the moment.

"Nothing," Jennie and Joohyun said together.

A few more rounds and Jennie was on her own, and whipping Jisoo's butt. It was almost like the rest of them didn't exist as they tried to outwit each other.

It was midnight when Taeyeon, Soohyun and Joohyun telling them it had been a tie between Jennie and Jisoo just to stop the insanity. Plus, they all needed sleep to handle a wide awake toddler the next day.

"Your family's nice," Jennie said into the darkness as she lies in bed.

"They really like you Jen," Jisoo said, not bothering to cover the exhaustion from her voice.

"They didn't before?"

"They've always cared for you, Jen. I'm just telling you so you're aware."

"So will you feel better about deceiving them?"

Jisoo sighed, "Jen, I'm too tired to do this now."

Jennie was angry with herself and took it out on Jisoo. She truly cared for these people. She could only imagine how they were going to hate her when all of this came out.

Jisoo, being family, would be forgiven. Her, not so much.

"Jisoo?"

"Hmm?"

Though Jennie couldn't tell if Jisoo was awake or not.

"I really like them too."

No response. Jisoo's breathing telling Jennie Jisoo lost the battle.

A little while later, Jennie turned on her side wondering how long it was going to take for the exhaustion to overcome her tonight.

Just as Jennie settled, Jisoo turned and spooned Jennie behind, draping her arm over Jennie's waist.