Chapter Fifty-Four: The Best Friend

A noise caught Jisoo's attention causing her to look up. Standing in the door of her office, Lalisa looked somber.

Lalisa walked into the office, setting down a six pack of can beer on the desk. "From the sound of your call, I thought its best to pick this up on the way."

"I don't want to get drunk," Jisoo told her. Well, maybe she did. But, that wouldn't help anything.

"Jisoo, there isn't enough to get drunk," Lalisa said as she opened the can beer and handed it to Jisoo.

Jisoo reached for it and gestured for Lalisa to sit.

After taking a big swallow, Jisoo began. "I don't know any other way to start this. I'm sorry and thank you."

After taking her own swig of beer, Lalisa slowly lowered the can from her mouth and looked at Jisoo confused. "Come again?"

"I'm sorry for accusing you of having an affair with my wife. I'm sorry I didn't respect our friendship enough to notice what Yeri was doing. I'm sorry I'm an idiot."

"Okay," Lalisa smiled. Of the two women, Lalisa was more easy-going. "And, you're thanking me for..."

"Being there for Jennie."

"Excuse me?" Lalisa asked, honestly confused.

Jisoo handed Lalisa the notebook. All Lalisa had to see was the first line on the page.

'I lost the baby today.'

Lalisa stood, paced and raked her fingers through her blonde hair. Now she was regretting not buying enough beer to get drunk.

"Oh man, Jisoo don't."

Jisoo stood, walked around to the front of her desk and leaned on her front.

"Lalisa, I need to know what happened."

Lalisa turned and looked Jisoo in the eye. "Jisoo, it's all in the past," she sighed.

"Lalisa! That was the beginning of the end of my marriage! Don't tell me to let it go!"

"Jisoo, I tried. Dammit I tried like hell!" Lalisa shouted back.

"Tried what?" Jisoo demanded.

"Tried everything!" Lalisa yelled, pacing more. "Tried to convince Jennie to tell you! Tried to talk Jennie out of getting those shots! Tried to just be there for Jennie, you know?" She said calmer.

"Lalisa, please. How did you know to go to the house?"

Jisoo watched Lalisa pace nervously. Deep breaths. Lalisa couldn't look at Jisoo. She didn't want to see the pain there. The same pain she'd seen Jennie go through. Jennie been hard enough.

"I overheard Yeri on the phone," Lalisa finally told Jisoo. "Jennie couldn't reach your cell, so she called here. Yeri said she'd try to get to you."

Lalisa paced, looking at the ceiling, reliving the nightmare she didn't want to.

She looked at Jisoo. "Jennie never called here without a reason. Yeri blew her off. Once she hung up, she went back to paperwork or whatever. She never tried to get to you, Jisoo."

Jisoo swallowed the lump in her throat. "No," Her emotions were beginning to build. "Tell me Yeri didn't know about the baby."

"She didn't," Lalisa confessed. "Jennie was gonna tell you that day."

Jisoo rubbed at her temples.

"When I got to the house, Jennie was a mess," Lalisa began replaying that day. "She was in so much pain. When she opened the door, she just looked at me and said help me."