Chapter Thirty-Three: The Talk

Jennie felt a wave of nausea as she sat in the exam room the next morning. The nurse was confused on her anxiety considering she'd been getting the shots for almost three years.

She'd dressed after her exam and felt her breathing grow more shallow and faster. She'd told the nurse to get the shot and do it as quickly as possible.

As the nurse opened the door, Jennie's heart raced. The nurse handed her the clipboard with permission form and pen.

"Miss Kim, I need you to sign this."

Jennie's hand shook as she stared at the form. Her vision blurred.

"Miss Kim?" the nurse called again.

Jennie set the clipboard down on the exam table and hopped off.

"I can't do this," Jennie said as she grabbed her purse and quickly left the clinic.

She sat in her car in the clinic parking lot, unable to stop the emotions from bubbling to the service.

"What kind of woman was I?" Jennie asked out loud. "Affairs. Birth control shots." She rests her head on the steering wheel. "What happened to me?" she cried.

Finally over her anxiety of the day before, Jennie worked on various household chores. The phone rang as she carried the basket of folded laundry.

"Hello?"

"Miss Kim?"

"This is Jennie," she answered. She was discovering she used her maiden name quite a bit in her previous life.

Was she really that disconnected from Jisoo?

"I'm so glad to finally catch up with you. I had one helluva time locating a number for you."

"May I help you?"

"This is Park Jimin from the Bighit National Credit Union. I've been trying to connect with you on your account."

"Oh! Is there a problem?"

"No, no. But your contract is very close to its expiration date. I've been trying to connect with you to see if you were still pursuing the matter. I've sent you numerous emails, but haven't received a response."

"Contract?"

"I'm sorry Miss Kim, but if you don't return a signed contract by end of business day next Tuesday, I'm afraid it will be null and void. I'm very surprised with this. You were quite insistent about its urgency in the beginning."

"I see. I can stop by this afternoon if that would be alright."

"Of course. Shall we say one o'clock?"

Jinwoo would have to take a later nap, but if it was an urgent matter what choice did she have.

"One o'clock will be fine Mr. Park."

"Very good, we'll see you then."

"Mr. Park?" Jennie called to Mr. Park before he could disconnect.

"Yes."

"I'm afraid I've misplaced my account card,"

"Miss Kim, you are one of our most valued accounts. We'd know you anywhere."

Jennie was frantically looking through the phone book, holding the phone to her ear using her shoulder as Jinwoo tugged at her shirt.

"I'll be with you in a second honey," Jennie whispered. Her finger sliding down the page.