CHAPTER 16 - Two Dates

Romeo had insisted that he drive us, and I admit, I am wondering what another date with Mr De Luca would be like, now that we are something, our last date if you could call it that, was interesting. So the first two dates to start off new? I like this Romeo. We are heading out of the city and it's more of a scenic drive. I haven't been out of the city since I have been in hiding so this is all new to me, the fall air is crisp and I see the leaves changing colour, it’s beautiful. I turn to look at Romeo, and he looks relaxed as he drives, but not as relaxed as I would have hoped. "Romeo is everything alright? You look rather distracted," I ask knowing he might not answer.

"It's just work, for the first time I'm really having feelings I don't know how to deal with." Romeo answers, but is still cryptic.

"Why don't you tell me what's bothering you. What's got you feeling so unsettled? You want me to trust you, so trust me." I know that's a cheap shot, but I also would love to see if Romeo really does trust me.

Romeo sighs heavily and just when I think he will close up and not say a word he surprises me. "Alina, there's an underage trafficking ring in New York. Young girls that should be enjoying school and being teens are being sold for sex," he grips the steering wheel, his knuckles white with frustration. "Some of the girls have been raped and murdered. I need to stop this, I can't fail these girls, and it's one of my supposed allies, Mancini. His son Drago is running it all. If I kill him I start a war." Romeo says finally letting out a breath and I put my hand over his right resting on his leg in comfort.
Romeo pulls up at a park and says we are here. He gets out and opens my door, taking my hand he walks me to a picnic blanket with food and wine scattered over the blanket. It's so romantic; we get to have a picnic on the beautiful Autumn leaves overlooking a lake with stunning white ducks floating nearby. Romeo doesn't say anything, just holds my hand tight. "It's beautiful Romeo, so peaceful." I turn to him and give him a kiss which he returns with a small smile.

We sit down and Romeo pours us a glass of wine. "Romeo, I understand why you feel that way about those girls, I have no doubt you will save them. I remember Toscano from when I was younger in my teens, about sixteen to be exact, it was way before you, Drago his son came with him he was eighteen at the time. My father had tried to make the same deal with Vincent Toscano as he made with your father. I was to marry Drago when I came of age. Only Drago had been trying to woo me I guess and one day he cornered me in the garden and he tried to kiss me and I said no, and he hit me, and beat me so badly I landed up in hospital with a broken wrist and a concussion with two cracked ribs. I will never forget him shouting that I was his and I will do what he says, the man was a psychopath at eighteen. My father pulled the deal and wouldn't allow any man to hurt me like that, my mother said she would leave him and take me away if I were to marry that boy, the only time she acted like a mother. My father stopped doing business with them, and as far as I know Drago was a loose cannon and even his father couldn't control him." I stare out onto the water and watch the ducks.

Romeo is quiet for a while and he pulls me close to him. "Bella I'm so sorry." I shake my head.

"It was a long time ago, Drago is scum, and so is his father for going along with what he does. Francesca his sister is no better. Drago deserves a slow agonising death. I feel for those girls, if there is anything I can do to help, I will." I say turning to Romeo, who looks at me with a warmth and emotion that I can't put my finger on, he pulls me close and gives me slow lingering kiss.

"We have a plan set up for Sunday to rescue the girls and if I can help it, it will be the last breath Drago ever breathes." Romeo says after a little while pulling me to him so I'm sitting between his legs facing the water as he leans against a huge oak tree. "Alina I really am sorry for the way I acted the other night, believe it or not, that truly was out of character for me, and I don't know why I was so stupid," Romeo says in almost a whisper in my ear.