CHAPTER 20 - Explanations

It's been a few hours and Romeo is still asleep, his vitals are good and he's stable. Dario is in and out so he hasn't said much. It's now three in the morning and I'm sitting here holding Romeo's hand and just waiting, I feel his fingers move and immediately look up, Romeo's eyes begin to open.
I see the most beautiful blue almost grey eyes looking at me and a lazy smile appears on his face. Romeo tries to speak, but it's a whisper, so I get him some water and it helps his dry throat. "Bella, I couldn't wait to look into these beautiful blue eyes." Romeo says and I can't help the ear to ear smile I have at the moment.

"Let me get the doctor," I say turning but I feel Romeo's hand stop me. "Is everything ok?" I ask confused.

"I just want one moment with you," Romeo rasps, and I lean down to give him a soft kiss.

"I was so scared Romeo, I thought I lost you," I say a few tears falling.

"Never baby, I said I will come back to you, nothing would have stopped me," Romeo chuckles and it’s the best sound in the world.

"What happened?" I inquire.

"Your father shot me," Romeo answers and the ground is ripped out from under me.

Romeo POV:

It’s not the ideal way to tell her but I won't keep it from her. "Romeo, I'm so sorry, I never thought he would do something like that again. He could have killed you," she says crying.

"Oh baby, no don't cry, we expected this, it's not your fault and I don't want you apologising for something you had no control over. We suspected your father would be there and things went a bit wrong and he got an opportunity and he took it," I say hoping Lina will hear me.

Lina sniffles and gives me a soft smile, "some family I have, be happy those are not your in laws. I'm just glad you're going to be ok," she jokes and I chuckle.

"That will be one hell of a wedding," I say smiling and she laughs.

"Well let me get the doctor, they need to check you out," she says kissing my lips and I nod.

Lina makes her way out and in walks our family doctor and I ask her to stay and she sits on the couch by the window. "Mr De Luca, you are extremely lucky. You were shot three times, and had emergency surgery on your spleen and had to have blood transfused since you lost so much, one of the bullets passed your heart but luckily never punctured anything vital, the other was just as lucky. Either the guy was a lousy shot or you had a guardian angel. You will be fine, I suggest a few weeks rest and you will be as good as new with a few new battle scars, I done my best to make it look as good as possible. The nurse will be in a bit later to change your bandages, soft foods for now and plenty of liquids," the good doctor says and leaves.

The nurse enters checking my vitals and gives me some pain medication in the IV and finally leaves. Alina just sits there quietly. "Bella what's wrong?" I ask a bit concerned.

"I just can't believe my father shot you, but then again he has killed one of my boyfriends before and is trying to marry me off to a psychopath," she says bitterly.

"I will be fine, I was prepared and no matter what I was going to live. I still have so much to live for, namely you," I say trying to make her feel better.
She sighs and gives me a sad smile.

"What was my father doing there?" Alina asks cautiously.

"He was in on the trafficking ring, partnering Drago and his father. Giving them support and passage, as well as connections," I answer as best I can.

"Were my brothers there?" Alina asks almost scared of the answer.

I shake my head, "no neither of them, your father said they were weak and didn't know how to make money the easy way," I shrug and wince.

"I'm going to get you something to eat and then you need to sleep," Alina says cutting the conversation and looking absolutely deflated and guilty. I nod my head and as she leaves Leo, Luc, Vince and Al pop in for a moment to see how I'm doing. If it weren't for all of them and Luciano's incredible computer skills I wouldn't be here right now. Even Toscano went to bat for me, and I need to show him some appreciation.

It's about just over a half hour and the nurse came to change my bandages and help me freshen up and brush my teeth and Alina is back with some food. She helps me sit up enough, to get comfortable to eat; she has brought creamy chicken Italian soup and toasted ciabatta bread and some Gatorade for replenishing my electrolytes. I really have a smart girlfriend. "Thank you so much baby," she kisses my lips and sits with me while I eat. I feel exceptionally tired and Alina takes the tray away after I'm done and helps me down on the bed and adds pillows by my back and neck so I'm more comfortable and I drift off.

Alina POV:

I am so happy Romeo will be alright, I can't imagine if he had died, I would never have forgiven myself. My crazy power hungry father nearly killed the man I love. I don't know much about what happened at the warehouse but I need to call Gio and see what he can tell me or what he knows. I have a prepaid phone so it can't be traced, I go to Romeo's bedroom and close the door and hit call.

"Ali? Is that you?" Gio asks frantically.

"Yes Gio, it's been a while," I say coolly.

"It has sister, I miss you. I guess you know what happened. I want you to know that Dimitri and I had nothing to do with this; in fact we have nothing to do with dad's Mafia anymore. Dimitri was supposed to take over but he couldn't do it with all the bad things dad was involved in." Gio pours out and I'm stunned.

"Well he tried to kill Romeo De Luca and he's part of an underage trafficking ring," I say sighing.

"We heard about that, but is it true that you are dating Romeo De Luca?" Gio asks wearily.

I do trust my brother; he's the only one who has stuck by me. "Yes it's true, but I kept my identity a secret, it's a mess but dad found out and now he tried to kill Romeo, I think more because of me. He wants me to marry Drago Mancini," I answer utterly exhausted by my life.

"We had no idea he was back on Drago. That man is a psycho, dad tried to get Dimitri to date Francesca but she was bat shit crazy as well. I'm so glad I'm gay, or it could have been me," I have to laugh; Gio is one of a kind. "Well I will keep you posted if I hear anything on dad. He isn't letting us in on much anymore."

"Ok Gio, I will speak to you soon, I love you brother," I say tearing up.

"Love you too sis, take care," Gio says and I hang up. I need to unplug a bit and decide to have a hot shower and I finish after taking my time, I put on white silk pyjama pants and a black tight tank top and my pink fluffy slippers and throw my hair in a ponytail. I make my way downstairs and get some tea and go back to Romeo's temporary room and make a makeshift bed on the couch with a pillow and blanket, I sip my tea and read a bit and before I know it I'm fast asleep.

I don't know how long I have been asleep for but I hear Romeo groaning in his sleep and I wake up to check on him. He's sweating and in pain, and I wake him, "Romeo baby, you need to take your pills." I lean him up just enough to so he can sip some water and drink them. I get some water and a cloth an dab him down and try to cool him off and hopefully make him feel better. About a half hour later he appears to be doing alright, Romeo mumbles a thank you and he drifts off to sleep, those must be really strong. I check the time and it's just after three in the morning, I go back to the couch and fall asleep again. I wake up at about five in the morning, the house is still quiet and Romeo is still sleeping and I quickly brush my teeth and wash my face, and decide to make a huge breakfast. Dario, Leo, Luc and Mari are still here. The nurse will be here a bit later to check on Romeo.

I make a few Spanish omelettes, bacon, pancakes, toast and fresh coffee and orange juice. I set the table and put everything on there for the group. I check on Romeo to find beautiful blue almost grey eyes greet me as I walk in. "Bella." He says raspy from sleep.

"Would you like to have your sponge bath now?" Romeo blushes and nods. I wash him down, change his bandages and help him up to brush his teeth and I wash his hair while he sits on a chair. Once he's all fresh I help him back in bed. "Hungry?" I ask and he smiles.

"Starving," Romeo says and pulls me by my hand and gives me a kiss. I get down to the kitchen and the lot are eating up a storm with many thanks from them and I can't help but laugh. I make up a tray for Romeo and myself and take it upstairs. Romeo manages to move enough to eat by himself and I sit on the side of the huge bed and eat my breakfast.
"Alina, I need to thank you for everything you are doing, for taking care of me," Romeo says reaching for my hand.

"It’s the least I can do, I love you and I will always be there to take care of you," I realised I just spoke in the future tense and I blush.

"I would like that very much," Romeo says pulling me out of my embarrassment and I smile, we finish breakfast and I give Romeo his meds.

"Romeo what happened?" I ask hoping he will answer me.

"Ok I will tell you everything; I guess I can't keep this from you. Everything was going to plan, we made it in without any problems, and managed to get to the girls without Drago knowing. About an hour in, he found out and there was a shoot-out, he had more men than we anticipated. I ran after him when Vince and Dario had things under control. I took my chance and we started firing at each other, Leo came after me and your father turned up with a gun to his head. Drago hit me and forced me down to my knees, and Drago pulled his gun on me and ordered me to remove my vest, I did trying to buy some time. The thing was they didn't anticipate Al being there, he snuck up and shot Drago in the arm and your father fired at me three times. I managed to fire back taking him down and I killed Drago, a shot to the head. Vincenzo Mancini was not there apparently he split, Dario was shot too and he came to me with Vince. Toscano managed to get all the girls out and to safety; it was an all-out war with Toscano's men and mine fighting against your father's and Mancini's. A fire broke out and Dario helped me to my feet while Vince and Leo got your father and Drago's body. Benito, Toscano's right hand was killed though. We got separated in the chaos and Dario and myself had to find out way back but be careful, once the adrenaline wore off and we found a motel I realised I was shot three times. We tried to get the bleeding under control and took some time but we got a ride and that's how we landed up here. Your father is in holding and we definitely started a war with Mancini, he will come at me with all he has and anyone that will help him."

Romeo finishes his story and I'm in total shock, my father is a heartless cruel bastard. My mother doesn't even feature a trophy wife and beyond shallow, she probably ran for the hills by now. "What is going to happen to my father now?" I ask really not sure what I feel right now.

"I won't do anything you don't want me to do. I could have killed him, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if you hated me," Romeo says looking down.

I take his hand and give it a squeeze. "I'm glad Drago is dead and I appreciate you not killing my father, I want to see him when you are well enough, at least one more time." Romeo looks at me and nods and I give him a kiss to let him know everything between us is alright

Vote, comment, share...

Finally we know what happened, Drago is dead and Alina's father is captured. Benito died and Toscano took care of the girls. Dario and Romeo got the short end but all in all it was a good rescue.

**Let me know if you spot any mistakes**

Cia babies