Chapter 5

You had trouble sleeping that night. You kept waking up and going back to sleep over and over again. The bite kept itching and burning all night long. It was so odd and miserable. There was no way Yui's words weren't true, even if she did mean it as some sort of joke. You decided to browse around on your phone for an answer. Maybe it will settle your nerves and help you sleep. You searched 'vampire bite', just to see what happened. But of course everything that popped up was nothing more than obvious fact answers or stuff from books and movies. None gave you a straight answer. You kept scrolling and scrolling. It seemed hopeless and you were just going to give up. Until you came across a weird post on a forum.

'Garlic not only repels vampires but also indicates the presence of a bite'

You decided to click on it and see what it had to say. The author claims to be a long time vampire researcher, whose purpose was to find out all they could about present time vampires. It sounded pretty stupid but what have you got to lose? You kept reading and the whole post really went in depth about vampire bites. It was recently updated a few months ago with the claim that garlic consumption is highly likely to determine if a person was bitten by a vampire by making the bite site burn and itch terribly. Even if it was more of a theory than an actual fact, it was the only thing that made sense to what happened to you. At the end of the post was a link to the researchers website. You decided to look into it just to see how much this person had to say or if it was just a coincidence link.

You opened a new browser window and the page loaded. You were overwhelmed with all the tabs with various topics all claiming to be legit vampire facts. There was an article about vampire diet, various rituals, social behaviors, facts and myths, legends, magic abilities and everything else in between. It was absolutely crazy the amount of effort this person put into this research. Though there was nothing about if they ever met a vampire. Yet aren't vampires known for using magic to erase memories, control people and put them to sleep? Guess it wasn't too strange to consider. You decided to look into the vampire diet section, out of curiosity.

You read various bits and pieces of different paragraphs. "Vampire bites never get infected thanks to an enzyme in the saliva. It only causes slight thinning for easy blood flow. The wound of the victim also heals quickly because of the enzyme. Bite wounds typically can disappear within 24 hours".

"Garlic shouldn't be consumed, especially in large quantities. The potent antibacterial properties cause a vampire's tongue and cheeks to swell upon digestion. Though not enough to kill them, just mild discomfort in most cases. Even trace amounts in a victim's blood can cause their tongue to get irritated. However such a thing happens rarely unless a victim has consumed a noticeable amount of garlic. Interestingly, garlic also affects the bite wound. Causing sensations that range from tingling to burning".

You had to admit, you wanted to believe every word that was written. It made sense to you. But you couldn't say for a fact vampires were real. Even if you slowly were starting to believe it because of the weird events. There just couldn't be another explanation besides a vampire bite.

You kept reading more. There was an article about vampire mates. You didn't like that word 'mate' couldn't they just say partner or significant other. It said that "Vampires find mates in their victims. Not only does it serve as a good source of blood, but the blood is addictive to them. From the first bite they can tell and crave more. Which is why vampires pick up a stalking tendency to follow that one true victim. However, it is unknown how or why a victim's blood becomes chosen. It just depends on the individual vampire. Symptoms of this mate choosing phenomenon is called obsession. The vampire becomes obsessed with the chosen victim to be their mate to the extent they can develop anxiety issues or intense urges to feed on blood if a bond isn't settled with the victim within an appropriate amount of time".

Who knew vampires had it this tough when choosing a partner to be with. Surely being a victim stalked by a vampire can be unsettling at first. But anxiety issues? Maybe the author was one of those victims in a partnership with a vampire. That had to be it. Yet there was no way to contact them. You could only assume what was written was true from their perspective. A vampire romance would be magical. Though, the likelihood of getting bitten again was pretty much impossible. This whole vampire thing will probably go away the minute you go back home to (state of residence). Might as well just write it off as some special one time thing. However, you probably won't be forgetting the weird encounter at the theater anytime soon. You decided to go back to bed, feeling a bit satisfied with your research.

Friday of the same week, you and your friends went out to go see a popular theater show at 5pm. You weren't sure what it was about, but it would be a cool experience. You sat at a comfortable distance from the stage with Sam and Yui. The whole show was set in ancient Japan. Full of samurai battles and romance. But man was it long. A three hour show. The intermission was about 2 hours in. The show would be back on in 20 minutes. "I'm going to stretch my legs and go to the bathroom?" you said while you stood up, happy to be off your butt. You left the theater and found the restroom full of people. Sure there were other places you could go. So you asked a staff member to give you directions to another restroom, which was on the other side of the theater box.

You passed by two ladies on the way. "I heard one of the staff saying Gackt was here", said one. "Right now!? OMG. I hope we see him" ,said the other. He was here. Really? Or was it just rumors? Either way, he probably had his own private theater anyways. If only you were ballsy enough to go searching. You did your business and was about to exit the bathroom. Coincidentally you ran into a man who came out from the men's side and almost bumped into him. You quickly apologized before looking at the man in question. Your eyes were in complete awe. Gackt. It was him. Really him! He was lavishly dressed and presentable. Extremely handsome. "You're Gackt, right?" you asked him in Japanese, while trying to keep your cool. Well of course you knew it was him. You just wanted to confirm you weren't dreaming. He was confident and didn't look worried. Maybe he was even amused. "That's right" he confirmed. "Do you mind if I get a picture with you? Then I'll be on my way" you politely asked him. Oh the girls are gonna be so jealous. He nodded, "It's no trouble" he told you. His words were literally music to your ears. The famous Japanese legend wrapped an arm around your shoulder as the two of you posed for a picture. Click! Your face was probably all red due to being embarrassed, shy and surprised.. But Gackt didn't seem to mind one bit, he smiled at you as if trying to make you feel better. You felt like you were in heaven right now.

Gackt's expression suddenly changed. Like he just realized something. He quickly covered his mouth and excused himself. He made haste and left to the opposite way of the lobby. Was he okay?