Chapter 28

You packed a small bag for tomorrow night. You didn't need to get too fancy. Just be yourself, right? "Got everything you need?" Yui asked you the next mornings you sat down for breakfast. "I'm all set. It's just one night though. I'll be fine" you insisted as you ate your fill. They may think this if for fun but it's much more than that. You got a text from Gackt not too long afterwards saying that Ren was on his way. 'Okay. I'll see you later when you get home' you replied back.

You said goodbye to your friends before getting into the car with Ren. "Gackt told me the news. So that creep really had the balls to follow you?" asked Ren as he started driving. You didn't want to discuss it but who else could you trust with this besides Gackt and Ren had dealt with this guy before. "Yea. He also kind of threatened me. Which scares me" you told him honestly. It was true. "Gackt told me to bring some friends over to meet you. Think of it as sort of a protection squad. Well a squad of vampires. They're local to Tokyo and are aware of everything that goes on in the city" Ren said. A group of vampires protecting Gackt. Sounds like a movie. You wouldn't have believed it before all of this. "I'm guessing they can do much more to help than you?" you asked. Ren nodded. "I work close to Gackt. It's my job to stay close to him. With that alone, we can get access to a lot of things going around Tokyo. But on their own, the squad can do pretty much anything. You can call it a family of vampires, if you want to put it nicely. But I trust each and everyone of them. So don't worry. You're in good hands. Lucky you" Ren finished and was quiet the rest of the way.

The two of you arrived at Gackt's and went inside. It felt like something was missing when   Gackt  wasn't there to greet you. "Make yourself at home. It will be awhile before he get's home" said Ren. What in the world were you suppose to do until then.  If Ren would stick around, then you could get to know him better. You felt like the two of you never really got to relax and talk just as friends. It was almost always serious. "Would it be too much to ask you to stay with me? I'd like to get to know you better" you said hoping you could convince him. Ren cracked a smile, "I never thought you'd ask. I wasn't going to just leave you here by yourself anyways. I would be a bad host. What would you like to talk about then?" Ren was happy that you asked. You could ask him anything right now. About Gackt or vampires. If there's something you wanted to know for sure was Ren's point of view the night Gackt was attacked. Now that the creeper was actually out to get you, it might be wise to learn all you could just in case you saw any patterns. "If it's no trouble, I want to hear what you went through that night. When Gackt almost died" you said almost feeling like it was a forbidden topic. Ren's face had changed. "Very well. Although I don't know the exact details what was said from what Gackt had told me. But if you want my input, then I'll tell you" Ren started.

"That man worked as music producer and he got in touch with Gackt to work was him. His name was Genjou Reina. He had a good rep and Gackt agreed to work with him. Everything was going well and Gackt eventually ended up dating his daughter Mai. It wasn't exactly the best relationship, but it wasn't all that bad either. However, she did end up becoming spoiled after getting used to Gackt's lifestyle and Gackt was too nice to just end the relationship and went on with it. Gackt and Mai broke up because Mai started to distance herself. Almost like Gackt was  a pretty ribbon for her to show off to her friends. Sure they took lots of pictures but to her they were just something to brag about. Gackt and I spent many nights staying up late talking. I finally convinced him to dump her because of her attitude. I was there when it happened. Sure, Mai was upset. But it didn't take her long to recover. I saw on her Instagram that she was with another guy. Was she cheating on Gackt? I don't know. I didn't tell him about the pictures though. He already felt bad enough for what he did. I didn't want to rub salt in the wound. I also found out that same week that Mai had committed suicide. A week later, Gackt and Genjou had stayed at the studio late one night. I was there of course. But I stepped out for a bit for a smoke. I had no need to suspect Genjou of anything so I left the two of them to work in peace. As I was smoking, I suddenly had this knot in my stomach. Maybe something I ate earlier didn't mix with the cigarette. So I ended my smoke early and went back up to the studio. Thank God I did. I'll spare you the details. But what I saw wasn't pretty. I chased Genjou out of the studio after seeing what he did to Gackt. After, scaring him off, I turned back. Gackt was badly injured and I knew a wound like that he wouldn't have enough time to make it to a hospital. However, I didn't want to see my friend die. That's when I remember a ritual. That was the only thing to save him. I just needed his permission first. I asked him and hoped he would agree to it. I think he was mostly in shock to understand what was going on but he agreed and that's all I needed. I performed the ritual, saving his life and cleaned up everything while he was recovering.  Gackt knew I was a vampire. I told him once and of course he thought I was joking. It wasn't until after this that it finally sunk in. Of course this all happened a few years ago. But to think Genjou is still around, makes him a sick bastard" Ren had ended his long story. 

What a depressing tale. Who knew things like this could really go from bad to worse. Maybe Gackt was just unlucky all of this happened. But he didn't know Mai would do that to herself. But maybe Ren is right. Why would she commit suicide if she was happy with another guy? Gackt had to be the unlucky target of a father's grief.