Chapter 11

Gackt POV

A little bit earlier...

"Feel like eating out for dinner?" asked Ren. For some reason, I felt a bit moody and didn't feel like going anywhere. "Which definition do you mean?" I asked. Did he actually want food or blood? "I'd thought I'd spare you from the blood talk for tonight. There's this good restaurant called Akabeko by that one convenient store. Hana's groceries, I think it's called" he explained. "That's 20 minutes from here" I remembered passing by that place plenty of times. "You want food or not?" Ren insisted. Might as well take advantage of no vampire talk and going to eat something normal for once. Maybe going out to eat at a restaurant would help distract me. "Alright. Let's get going before it gets too late" I agreed.

Upon arriving, business looked to be slow at the restaurant. Looking around I saw, the booths were separated, giving each table decent privacy. "Perfect. Less people recognize you" Ren said. It did make me feel a bit better about eating in public but not like I was going to take off my sunglasses anyways. A waitress quickly took us to a suitable table. She took orders for our drinks, then left to leave us to decide on our meals. Ren quietly looked over the menu, as did I. I didn't really see anything that caught my eye or made me want to eat. "Having trouble deciding? You're not in the mood for 'something else' are you?" Ren suggested. There he goes again. "Don't worry about me" I brushed him off. If I had to go for something, Gyoza would have to be it. The waitress had returned with our drinks and took our orders. "Pot stickers eh? Haven't had those in a while" Ren commented. "Can't go wrong with gyoza" I replied. I wanted to hurry, eat and go back home. "Relax, would you? I'm not going to persuade you to do anything" Ren had noticed my tense posture. My facial expression said I wasn't going to settle down at the moment, not after these past few days. Ren didn't really care if I listened to him or not. Although, I had to admit I was being rather selfish about all this. Why couldn't I just have dinner with Ren, like I always did? Nothing was different. I felt bad for acting like a child and assuming that everything he did was to stir up my vampire instincts. "....I'm sorry" I apologized, looking down in shame. "Just remember, I was in your shoes at one point. I do what I do for a reason. Even if you don't like it. You just need to find a way to adjust" Ren sighed. Easier said than done, in this case.The waitress returned with the food. She carefully placed the hot dishes in front of us. Once the gyoza was in front of me and I had taken the first bite, I'd remembered how good actual food was. It didn't taste like blood. I didn't have to drink it at all. It was reassuring. The flavors were amazing. I finally relaxed after what it seemed like an eternity. Ren immediately noticed the change in my mood, but he didn't say anything. I think he was just content to see me at ease.

Present Time...

After dinner, Ren and I stood outside the restaurant to talk some as the night was cool. Everything felt normal again. For now at least. The two of us decided to have a quick smoke andI gladly took the opportunity to feel normal again. There were plenty of people walking behind us, but it was nothing to worry about. Ren wasn't too concerned either, so I just took my time. A young couple soon came into view. The man was holding a tissue to his nose. "There should be a restroom in the convenient store! Hurry before you bleed all over your shirt!" said the woman a bit panicked. As soon as they passed behind me, I could smell the blood coming from him. He most likely had a bloody nose. I stopped smoking, almost wanting to throw up what I'd just eaten. My vampire side was awoken in an instant. I hated this feeling. I couldn't control it at all. The last thing I wanted to do was spoil the evening with something so stupid. Ren, on the other hand, looked unaffected. You were sure he could smell the blood too. How did he do it? "Thinking about it will make it worse" was all he said. Well no sh*t! I took a deep breath. Just breathe. I really didn't want to throw up right now. I took in the air desperately trying to keep my food inside my stomach. When I had settled down to breathe normally, I had noticed I was feeling human again. "Very good" Ren praised me. I really didn't need to hear him tell me I was doing a good job. I was already happy with myself for staying under control. "How about we get out of here before something else sets you off?" Ren suggested a few minutes later. Don't have to tell me twice.

The two of us finished our cigarettes and disposed of them nearby. We started walking back to the parking lot when I stopped suddenly, a scent had caught my attention. It wasn't the smell of blood. It was, however, captivating. A perfume perhaps. "Hey, let's get going" ,Ren had noticed. I heard him but I couldn't reply for some reason. The scent was clear as day. Where was it coming from? It suddenly became my objective to find this scent. It took over my mind and I wanted nothing more than to find it.

"Go ahead then. Go find whatever is stopping you" Ren had told me. My mind went completely blank as I tried to find the source. I don't know why I was doing this or even how. No sound, other scent, or lighting made a difference to me. I had stopped outside the Hana's Grocery convenience store.

Ren was following me, of course, just in case anything happened. He yanked the hoodie of my jacket over my head. "You're going to need it, if my assumptions are correct" ,he said. I had gained a bit of my mind back as the scent lost its intensity for a moment. "What are you talking about?" I asked and was confused. Weren't we about to go home?

I heard the door opened from the store. The scent had strengthened again. The woman who walked out. It was her. I was 100% sure for some reason. Even without seeing her face clearly. But what was she doing all alone? Ren stood aside and just let me go, saying nothing. She didn't pay any attention to me or Ren and she started to walk away. I began to follow. It was scary that my body moved on its own, wanting to get her alone. To talk? No, it had to be for her blood. But I couldn't convince myself to stop or walk away. I was being drawn closer to her like a magnet. But how do I get her alone? The alley way? It would be quiet behind the stores and restaurants. But how do I get her there without being too suspicious?