[ 5 ]

- Noor's POV -

"Wait, you were trained by Lateef? Lateef Asad, the senior you had a crush on back in high school?" Ayesha's in shock as much as I was.

"Yeah... what are the odds?" I wonder.

"The odds were very low. And you're saying Yasu is your boss? Yasu is Yasir Khan?" Farrah asks as she scrolls through his Instagram page. "Dude, he does not look like what he did in high school."

"I know! I didn't even notice until Lateef pointed it out." I say.

"Lateef somehow manages to look the same but more... mature? And maybe even more cuter? He always had this cheerful, baby face." Farrah says.

She's right. His smile was the type that would really make the saddest person in the room crack into a smile. He has the sweetest looking aura to him.

"Yasir Khan... I don't know. He's not the same as he was in high school. Complete opposite, actually." I tell her.

"Maybe he's still the same but work is something that keeps him preoccupied. You're fun, you can probably lighten his mood up." Ayesha suggests. 

"That's not it. I really think he's a different person now. There was no hint of happiness in his eyes." I think about how hollow they looked.

"Oh? Your an eye reader now?" Farrah laughs.

"No! You know what I mean!" I say out of frustration. I can't quite put it into words but anyone can see it if they really paid attention.

"I'm just kidding! I get it. I'm sure handling such a big business is huge pressure. I know I wouldn't be the same with all that stress." Farrah says.

She's right. Maybe that's all.

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" Farrah asks, holding my hand.

"Definitely not." I say, nervously.

• • •

Lateef had explained a couple of tasks that I would do regularly. Those include taking phone calls before they reach Mr. Yasir, reviewing documents, sorting through files, proofreading work, sending and receiving emails, and just normal secretary tasks.

This is a full-time, 9-5 job. So I'll be at the office eight hours a day and five days a week.

There will be extra tasks that will be provided by Mr. Yasir, when needed. I may need to accompany him to meetings and business trips, whether they take place locally or internationally. Also, I may need to work overtime sometimes because certain times in a month, the work becomes overwhelming and overloaded but he said I'll be compensated very generously.

All I saw was dollar signs when he said "compensated generously". Money really does own people sometimes, I laugh to myself as I put on my hijab.

Again, I drop Ayesha off at the bus stop before heading off to work.

"Good luck! Maybe find a nice, rich Muslim man to marry from work so I can quite school and we can spend his money." She jokingly says before leaving the car.

"That's my plan." I wink.

"It would be even better if it's your boss, you already know him from high school." She giggles.

I roll my eyes. "Alright, time for you to leave our car."

We always joke about things like this only because growing up, we weren't really financially stable. That situation lasted so long, we saw almost no hope at the end of the tunnel. We'd always think of bizarre ways we could get rich easy and this was one of them: marrying rich.