[ 18 ]

- Noor's POV -

Don't cry, Noor. Don't cry, Noor. Don't cry, Noor.

I thought, I thought just maybe, this time I could be more than a friend to Lateef.

It stung. It stung painfully hard the second his words processed into my head.

I had the biggest crush on her in high school.

How did I not notice? Of course I didn't notice. We barely crossed paths outside of class. Farrah and I always hid out in the least crowded areas for lunch.

Did Farrah know? What if she knew and didn't tell me because of my feelings?

"O-oh? How is it that you knew her but not me?" I ask, just slightly upset.

"I never saw her outside of the classes we had together. I don't think you were in those classes?" Lateef starts sounding nervous.

"I was in all of her classes." I teasingly lie, trying to hide the hurt.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry, Noor. I didn't know. I swear I'm just stupid—"

I burst into laughter. "I'm just kidding. I only had one or two classes with Farrah each year in high school and you weren't in any of them."

He sighs a breath of relief. "I was about to throw myself out of the window because of guilt."

"Maybe I can help get you on her good side?" I wink, trying to not look like I'm about to cry.

"Please, do. I tried in high school and she always brushed me off. It was almost like she hated me." Lateef explains.

It's because of me.

"Did she ever... uh... talk about me back then?" He asks.

No, because I always talked about you.

"No, not that I can recall." I say.

"But, please do put in a good name for me with her. I'd love to chat with her some day." He grins.

Another stab to the chest.

"Of course." I nod.

"Bye, darling! See you soon!" Nadira walks out of Yasir's office, her hair a little disheveled.

She only gives Lateef and I a dirty look before walking away.

"Thank God the witch is gone. I might've been really close to setting her on fire." Lateef laughs.

"I agree." I smile. "I–I have to go back to work. I'll talk to you later?"

"Yes! Of course! Sorry for holding you up. I'll see you later." He waves, leaving behind a very depressed Noor.

Usually, after lunch, Yasir doesn't leave his office and no one comes in without calling in first.

I squeeze my eyes shut, the tears I had been gulping down finally set free. The aching in my chest increases and all I want to do is sob as loud as I can.

I cover my mouth with my hand, to not let the sounds escape as my tears begin to free-flow.

I really started to fantasize about a nikkah with Lateef. I'm so stupid, I'm so stupid to take his flirting seriously, I'm so stupid to think I had a chance with Lateef Asad. The sweet, handsome and funny Lateef Asad.

For some reason, in life, I always hit peak and then everything comes crashing down in the most heartbreaking way possible.

At this moment, I should be thinking about how Allah must have a better plan for me. Someone else who's made for me but it hurts so much that my thoughts are clouded with nothing but sorrow.