[ 20 ]

- Noor's POV -

It's the day... it's the big day.

I told my family I wanted simple for the nikkah + engagement ceremony.

Amma wouldn't have it. She said we won't spare any expenses. She wanted this to be extravagant because she didn't get much for her wedding. She wants to plan like she's never planned before.

So I agreed. I gave all the heavy planning to her and my sister, Ayesha. All I really wanted to do was choose the dresses for the events.

Except for today's dress. I didn't have much time to pick out something for today so I told them something simple or not overly sparkly...

When they unzipped the bag to show me the dress, I was speechless. It's gorgeous. Absolutely made out of my dreams except... I really didn't want to look too over-the-top.

However, I couldn't wipe off the smile on my face because my whole family looked so proud and happy.

I stare at myself in the mirror. I look so different. My makeup is heavier than usual but still simple enough for a small engagement party.

The dress is silver and completely covered in sparkling stones. The design work done on the dress is exquisite, it makes me feel like a princess. The long, trailing peach-pink scarf is detailed with the same twinkling stones.

I twirl around like a blushing bride unable to look at myself any longer.

I'll be Omar's today. I'll be a taken woman. I've thought about marrying at different times in my life. But I feel like as I got older, the more I put this thought at the back of my mind.

I can't believe I was crushing hard on Lateef just months ago. I invited him, yes.

What did he ask me? If Farrah will be there.

Why did this idiot think she wasn't going to be here? I told him multiple times that she's my best friend.

"Mash'Allah! Mash'Allah! Mash'Allah!" Amma comes in to the room saying. "You look so beautiful, Omar won't be able to take his eyes off of his bride."

Her eyes start suddenly getting teary. "You're all grown up."

"Amma! Don't cry! You'll make me cry and I'll end up not signing the nikkah papers." My bottom lips start to quiver from seeing Amma cry.

Ayesha and Farrah peak their heads through the door and both their eyes widen.

"Ya Allah! You look so beautiful, Mash'Allah! I honestly thought you'd look like the dirty rag that you usually look like." Ayesha says.

Amma lightly slaps Ayesha's arm. "Ow! Amma!"

"Stop saying mean things to your sister on her nikkah day. She'll be leaving soon and you won't have anyone to bother anymore."

"You look so beautiful, Mash'Allah! I would take you home by the end of the night if I were Omar." Farrah winks, then she quickly covers her face because she burst into tears.

Ayesha's eyes start watering too. "This is dumb. Why does she have to go?"

"Not you guys too!" My quivering instantly turns into tears.

We stood there for a minute or two, just holding each other, before going out to the main room.

We're holding the nikkah/engagement at our house, only because we didn't invite many and I begged them to let it be at home so I can feel comfortable. It's a small gathering anyways, I'd rather save money for the bigger events.