[ 10 ]

- Noor's POV-

"I have a business dinner tonight with Mr. Yasir Khan tonight." I tell Amma.

"Okay, enjoy." Amma says.

"That's all you're going to say?" I question.

"You're grown up, Noor. We trust you. You've never done anything to ever upset us. Why should we question it?" She looks at me in confusion.

Damn it! I was hoping she'd say no so I could text him saying my parents said no. I may be 22-years-old but I'm not ashamed of telling people that my parents said no to something. Sometimes, it's even convenient when they say no.

Right now, it would be really convenient.

"She's trying time make sure she can't go to the dinner because it's probably boring." Ayesha chimes in.

"Are you sure? Maybe I'm out of line." I say half jokingly to Amma.

Amma starts laughing uncontrollably. "You're the most obedient kid I know compared to a lot of people's kids. I think you'll be fine.

"Maybe while you're out, you can find yourself a husband." Ayesha teases.

Amma nods, trying to hold in her laughter.

I sigh as I stare at the time. It's 2 PM, I have a few more hours until I have to leave.

I already texted Lateef saying I can't make it to lunch with him. I could've gone but I don't think I have enough social energy for both lunch and dinner.

It killed me inside to cancel on him because I was looking forward to lunch with him. In fact, the month I've been at Khan Enterprises, we've gotten along really well.

Maybe I'll end up marrying him!

Haha, just kidding... unless?

• • •

The hours flew by really quickly because I decided to watch one of my favourite Bollywood films, Om Shanti Om, to pass time and it turned out to be just over 3 hours.

During the last hour of the movie is when I started to get ready. I was absolutely miserable. I really didn't want to go to dinner with Mr. Yasir. He's probably no fun either.

I wish he'd just tell me what his ulterior motive was for this is because he definitely has one.

The weather's been getting warmer so I decided to wear a baby pink maxi dress with the puffy sleeves. I paired it with a off-white coloured hijab, short strappy heels and a white crossbody purse.

I did do my usual amount of makeup, just to not look like death while I'm out.

Just as I sit down, I receive a text from Mr. Yasir saying he's five minutes away. I run to the front door to put on my shoes to be ready to leave the second he's here.

For some reason, I'm nervous. My heart is doing those somersaults that happen when I'm skittish or shy about something.

There's nothing fluttery about me going to dinner with Mr. Yasir. Nothing.