[ 13 ]

- Noor's POV -

That night, I Uber'd back home. Amma stayed up to wait for me, as always.

She knew instantly that something was off.

"I think I just got fired..." I admit to her.

She gasps. "Astagfirullah, why would you say such a thing?"

"I'm pretty sure I messed up the business dinner by saying some things that I shouldn't have." I don't explain further.

She caresses my hair, something she does to calm me down. "Did you say the things by accident? The words just slipped out?"

"I guess... I guess it slipped out." I was just so angry. I couldn't control myself.

"Insha'Allah, if this job is meant for you, you won't be fired for such a small mistake." She gives me a peck on my forehead. "Try to sleep, you've have a long, eventful evening."

She's right, it was really eventful. But the mistake wasn't small, it was dangerous. What if he tries to hurt my parents' reputation?

When I get to my room, I close the door and slowly sink down to the floor. The tears I was holding onto all night finally set free with no need of control.

I quietly sniffle as my tears become, what seems like, a never ending stream.

"That's enough crying, Noor!" I keep wiping my eyes but they won't stop. "There's no point of wasting your tears on people like that."

But I couldn't help notice, now my tears are just from being sad, not from the anger I was feeling earlier today.

Nadira's words didn't impact me how I thought it would. In fact, it barely made me flinch because I know that she's such a low life already. She's always been like this, since elementary school.

I hate to admit it but what hurt me the most is that Yasir didn't bother giving me an inch of respect. He could've easily done so by telling me he'll be out for a while or reply to one of my texts.

And yes, I called him by his first name only. He doesn't deserve the respect of Mister, not anymore. Besides, he's not my boss anymore.

"Stop letting him affect you, stop letting him affect you, stop letting him affect you." I repeat quietly to myself.

I wipe away my tears and hop in the shower.

But that night, I cried myself to sleep because even I'll have to admit that I'm a sensitive, pathetic girl sometimes.

• • •

"I really wanted to crush her skull with my bare hands." I say to Ayesha and Farrah.

"Should've done it. Should've dragged that whore by her hair, out of that car." Farrah says, just as angry as me about the situation.

"And then crushed her giant head then given it to her beloved Yasir Khan." Ayesha says.

I love that my best friend and my sister are so supportive of my violent rampages.