[ 21 ]

- Noor's POV -

A text... He broke up with me through text on our nikkah day?

This has to one of the highest levels of bad luck out of all the bad lucks someone can experience.

Omar could've done this weeks ago. He could've told me the day we met, he could've told me the day before I started handing out the invites. Hell, he could've told me yesterday!

I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe my parents have to go through this. I'm a woman, and in this society, no one will mock Omar. They'll mock my parents and I. Why? Just like I said, because I'm a woman.

My parents have to live this down. Omar gets to get away without a single scratch on his name because he's a man. People will forget what he did to me but they'll always remember what happened to me.

I don't care about that. I don't care what people think about me. But what about my parents? What about the years my parents used to build up respect in this community? Omar didn't think about that?

It was so easily avoidable. It was so damn easily avoidable. All the embarrassment and hurt was easily avoidable.

My eyes flutter a few times before finally opening to focus on my surroundings.

I remember my legs giving out and I'm sure I fell?

Once my eyes open, I realize someone's holding me, lightly trying to shake me awake.

"Noor! Noor, can you hear me?" It's Yasir.

I stare at Yasir and there's a sincere flicker of concern for me. Instantly, tears down streaming down my face but I refuse to start sobbing.

I cover my face with my hands and Yasir slowly lets go of me and takes a few steps back.

"You're okay, Noor. You're okay." Farrah holds me.

I'm going to take a quick guess that everyone has seen the text because I see the anger in my father's expression and the sadness in my mother's eyes.

There's a quiet argument taking place further away from me.

"Your daughter must've said something! Our Omar wouldn't just not show up!" I hear Omar's mother yelling.

"Our daughter? What would she say? She's the one who's been embarrassed and hurt!" Abbu yells back.

My head is throbbing from all the noise.

"Maybe this is a plot to get out of the wedding that your daughter didn't want to have in the first place." Some random uncle chirps in.

"She's always been too high spirited. Things were bound to go wrong." An auntie says. She only ever sees me twice or thrice a year.

"Your daughter's luck hasn't always been amazing... and now this. Lord knows if you'll find her a good husband with the amount of rejected ones."  The same random uncle says.

Who even is this man and what right does he have to speak to my father like that?

"Your daughter this, your daughter that. Why not blame the son?" Yasir's voice is loud and clear.

Suddenly, everyone goes quiet.

"Excuse me? And who are you?" Omar's father asks.

"It doesn't matter who I am. Your son didn't show up. He probably ran away with the woman he loves while Noor fulfilled her promise. Who's fault is that?" Yasir's words slip out with no hesitation. In fact, he actually looks bored with all of this.