Chapter 2 This is Stormcloud

All eyes were on the dragon who pressed her belly to the floor. I remembered she was once a wild dragon and I was possibly the first and only person she allowed to get near her.

"So . . . That's what you were hiding." Bottonlout blurted out, interrupting the silence.

"Yeah." I sighed. I was actually kind of relieved that people fond out about her. Now I wouldn't have to stress about hiding her.

"Wait you knew about this?" Dad asked.

"Yeah, we both did." Comet said as he raised his hand as if he were back in school.

"Why didn't you tell anyone?" Mom asked.

"I think we're getting off topic here." I said trying to change everyone's attention off of me. "Does anyone care that the son of our enemy is knocked out on the beach?"

Finally everyone turned their attention to Scythe. He was still breathing, but didn't move.

"Twins take him to the Gothi." Dad ordered. The twins did as they were told, for once. "Know, mind telling us about your dragon?" I was surprised Dad wasn't more interested about seeing another Night Fury. I knew he'd always dreamed of finding another one, and know that I have he seems a little . . . actually I couldn't tell how he felt.

"Well, this is Stormcloud. I found her a while ago at Shipwreck Cove." I answered. Stormcloud came up behind me and pushed her head under my hand.

"And why didn't you tell us about her?" Mom questioned.

"I don't know." I answered "Fear I guess? C-can we stop talking about this?" I was getting tired of being asked so many questions.

Mom slid off her Deadly Nadder and slowly walked over to the cowering Stormcloud. She nearly bit her when she reached to touch her wing.

"It's broken isn't it?" Bottonlout said.

"Oh, look you're actually right about something." Fishlegs muttered. "First time for everything I guess."

"Knock it off!" Dad snapped. "Freya take...Stormcloud with you to the hospital. Maybe we can get someone to check her wing."

"Okay." I said. I led Stormcloud with my hand up the hill. She let out a purr as we followed the path the twins dragged Scythe off to.

    In the village I kept my head down. Everyone kept staring and gawking at me, or at least the thing that was walking  beside me. Stormcloud seemed equally as nervous as I was. She swiveled her head back and forth and kept her stomach to the ground. I kept petting her trying to keep her calm as we walked through the crowd, but it didn't seem to be much help.

   When we finally made it the tallest wooden structure, other than the main hall, there were two green Speed Stingers and one leader with its vibrant red head crest and red striped face sleeping outside the door. Once we learned how to train these guys, they were pretty calm. They were once known for their slyness, but know they are used to pull carriages to those who can't make it to the hospital in time. These guys are usually nocturnal, but they've been trained to stay awake during sun up, even though they take an occasional nap. They're poisonous tail isn't much use in this case, except defending the ill from attackers. They seem like the obvious choice as an ambulance since they're the fastest dragon on land and can run on walls and even upside down on roofs at top speed for a period of time.

  As we walked up to the door the Speed Stingers shifted to make just enough room for us to move by. As we walked in a women with brown hair and a faded white helmet with piece of drift wood I'm her right hand she used to write on, quickly walked over to us with a Hobblegrump by here side.

This hobblegrump's body was purple with flecks of red, but its face and head crest crest, spreading over its skull like a lion's mane, was yellow. The Hobblegrumps here were used as 'nurses'. With their ability to sense the feelings of others then be able to change the color of their crest to improve their mood seemed like an obvious choice as a nurse. This was why this Hobblegrump's choice of color was yellow, to make the newcomers, or us in this case, feel happy. Strangely the best ones were those who were blind. That we still have no idea why.

"You must be here to see the prisoner... I mean patient." She said with a soft voice. I nodded, but I noticed that she wasn't looking directly at me. She seemed to be glancing at Stormcloud and back to me again.

"Anyway..."  I said after the awkward moments of silence. "Can you show them to me?"

"Oh of course." The nurse finally snapped back to earth. "Belle here will take you to him." She said as she patted the neck of the dragon beside her. She purred in happiness and I noticed her eyes looked glazed.

"She must be blind." I thought to myself.

"She is the best D.N we have!" The nurse exclaimed. She must've noticed the puzzled expression on my face because she kept talking. "D.N here stands for 'Dragon Nurse'. But Belle here is the head nurse. Belle please take these two to patient #7." She added to the Hobblegrump. The dragon turned around and looked over her shoulder to make sure we were following her.

We walked past the beds. Some of them were filled with vikings who were coughing, wheezing, or just sleeping. Finally the dragon stopped in front of a bed. Slowly each scale on her face was turning green. I guessed it was the color she used most with sick patients to help them cure faster.  Belle nosed at Scythe's arm before walking off again.

"Well, now what do I do?" I asked, half to myself. Stormcloud growled at Scythe for a second before I shoved her nose away. "Know stop that! We're suppose to watch him." I snapped.

"I don't need someone to babysit me!" Scythe had finally woken up. Too bad he woke up on the wrong side of the bed.