Chapter 16 - Ruby Dee

Five days had passed as Andy started to get use to her routine. She went to the coffee shop, read at the local library, went to her apartment, and got ready for her night shift at the club.

She knew she was being watched, by both her friends and enemies. A suspicious car would roll up every so often and trail her before driving down another street. She was now a regular dancer, someone who could be recognized by usual customers.

Today, she went to the library with her coffee and sat down in the corner. After a few minutes, she looked up and saw Spencer Reid by one of the shelves.

She had to take a double glance as he kept slight eye contact with her. He was keeping his distance, trying to maintain her cover even though he wanted to run over and read with her by his side.

She smiled slightly as she casually looked down, hiding the hidden relief she felt knowing that someone she fully trusted was there. Hotch informed her that the team would be in town soon but she didn't know that today was the day. She discreetly got up and went to the shelf in front of Reid's, finding an open space for their faces to be concealed from everyone else.

They caught each other's glances through the books and she wrote down a quick note in a book she chose from the shelf. He was reading something as she went to his aisle, pretending to look down, and bumped into his shoulders.

She purposely dropped her things and they both hit the ground to gather them again.

He tried to hand her back the book she chose but she shook her head, "I think that's yours."

She got her stuff and quickly left the library, not waiting to see his reaction. Reid watched as she left and he opened the book as a little white piece of paper fell out. He picked it up and read over her handwriting.

I miss you. Tell the team I said hi.

P.S. I think that you'll like this one. You can read it and tell me all about it later.

He smiled lightly and shoved the paper in his jacket pocket before heading to the front desk, checking out the book she had given him.

-

Andy was sitting in her room, fake chatting with Cherry about tonight.

"I'm so excited for you! Today's your first solo performance!" the other girl squealed.

Andy sighed, "Yeah, totally exciting."

She was disturbed at how Cherry, who was only one year older than her, thought of what they did as "performances." As if they didn't please men with their bodies for a living. Nevertheless, she had continued an enthusiastic attitude about it throughout the week.

"You'll do so great! Maybe we can celebrate afterwards!"

Andy looked over as she received an email on her computer. She opened it quickly to see a message from Hotch.

Family reunion tonight at 9:30. We'll meet you at the hotel. Room 214.

"Uh...sorry Cherry. I don't think tonight's gonna work."

"Why not?" the girl questioned.

"I've got a thing in the morning and I don't want to stay out too late. But maybe another time."

"Okay...but you owe me a drink."

"I can take that. Hey listen, I've got to go. I'll see you tonight though."

"See ya."

She hung up and sighed. She felt bad that Cherry had thought of doing something nice for Andy. She had become the only friend Andy had made in the past few days and she sort of liked her. She knew it would be hard to go back to her life after seeing what the other girls had to deal with everyday.