Chapter 78 - Joseph Campbell

*Three months later*

"I'm so excited! It's her first day back!"

Prentiss smiled, "I'm sure she'll appreciate all the gifts."

She motioned to the bounty of gifts and treats Garcia had laid out on Andy's desk. Garcia pouted in confusion as Morgan wrapped his arm around her.

"I just want her to come back to something happy," she stated.

Their conversation was cut short when the elevator door opened and Reid and Andy walked out. They waited until she was in the office to shout,

"Welcome back!"

She jumped slightly at the noise but smiled nonetheless. Everyone gave her big hugs, including Hotch. Every member of the team was standing there to welcome her back.

Andy chuckled lightly, "Thanks you guys, but you didn't have to do all this."

"We didn't," Rossi said, "Garcia did."

The blonde shrugged innocently, "I may have planned this and stayed up last night to make you some more cookies but I'll do anything for you!"

She gave Andy another tight hug and giggled. They all laughed and started to disperse to their desks.

"Delvaux, could I speak to you for a moment?" Hotch asked.

She nodded and followed him to his office, closing the door. He sat down professionally behind his desk and folded his hands.

"Now that you're physically healed enough to be in the field, I want to make sure that your mental health is okay as well."

He pulled out a file and read it off, "Your therapist says that you have trouble opening up and allowing yourself to face the reality of your memories."

"Trust me Hotch, I've faced it."

"I don't doubt that. I'm sure you've handled it in your own way. But I need to know if that way is gonna affect how you work."

"Meaning?"

"Are you gonna become overly aggressive?" he asked, "Or are you gonna become closed off?"

She scrunched her nose, "I would hope neither. If you're asking if I'm gonna keep my emotions in check, I will."

"Andy, we've all seen different parts of your healing process and it's unstable."

"I assure you, I'm fine."

Hotch pressed his lips into a thin line and sighed. He put the file away and pulled out her badge and gun. She smiled and took them, thanking him quietly.

"I have one requirement before you go."

She nodded, "Anything."

"If anything is wrong or you need someone to talk to, you come to me."

She nodded hesitantly and moved back to her desk. She didn't know what to do because a majority of Garcia's gifts were taking up her workspace.

She spotted a box of fritters and tossed them to Morgan, who cheered quietly. She gave Reid the box of chocolate covered donuts with sprinkles.

"Don't eat all of those, I want some in the morning," she warned him. He smiled as he shoved his face with a bite.

Andy tossed a bag of cookies towards Prentiss and gave JJ a stuffed bear for Henry. They all smiled in thanks.

Andy turned back to her desk for work but it was bare. She spun her chair to the group, "I don't have any work?"

Prentiss shrugged, "We may have done it for you."

Andy softened but Morgan waved her off, "Don't worry about it, Princess. We didn't want you to be overwhelmed when you came back."

She smiled and turned her attention to Reid, who turned to her with his chess board set. He gestured to it and she nodded, joining him in his game.

They were midway through the game when someone in the bullpen dropped something heavy. When it hit the ground, Andy jumped so much that her hand accidentally knocked over a few pieces.

She cleared her throat and looked down at the board, "Sorry."

She scrambled to fix the pieces as she saw her friends watch her from the corner of her eye. Her hand was shaking slightly but Reid calmed her down quietly and helped her fix the pieces.

"Sorry," she repeated softly.

She looked around before settling on her empty coffee cup and grabbing it, "I'm gonna get some more coffee."

She scrambled off to the other side of the room where she was out of earshot. Morgan got up and quietly made his way over to Reid's desk. He noticed that JJ followed Andy to make small conversation.

"How are things with Andy?" Morgan asked.

Reid shrugged, "Things are...things."

Morgan scoffed, "You guys still don't wanna admit to being together? I'm pretty sure everyone that knows you two knows about your relationship."

Reid leaned in close and sighed, "I've been trying to hint at making it official but things got so chaotic. I stopped trying when...you know."

Morgan nodded, "It must be going okay though. I mean, she did say "in the morning," which means..."

He gave the younger one suggestive eyebrows to which Reid just rolled his eyes.

"I guess that department is being fulfilled," Morgan joked.

"Not exactly," Reid replied, "She stays at my place most days because she's scared to live at home. It's either I stay at her place or she's at mine."

"Have you ever thought of just moving in together?"

Reid scoffed, "Moving in together? At this rate, I'll be lucky if I get her to kiss me in the next three months."

He sighed, "Don't get me wrong, I want her to feel comfortable. But she just keeps repressing everything. It's not good for her."

Morgan patted him on the shoulder as the girls came back. Reid and Andy continued their chess game with more coffee, supplied by Andy.

Despite the initial reservation against the idea, Reid continued to ponder upon the thought of the two moving in together.

One, it would benefit the both of them, seeing as they practically already lived together.

Two, it could help Andy cope better and maybe clue her in on making their relationship official.

And three, they could possibly move forward in their commitment. Reid would be lying if he said he hadn't thought about marrying Andy before. Buying a house would be a good chance to start fresh.

Andy glanced as his thoughtful face curiously, "I can see the wheel's turning."

He brought himself back to their game and laughed lightly, "Just thinking of ways to win."

She scoffed, "Oh, it's on."

---

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us."

-Joseph Campbell