Chapter 22 - Jean Paul Sartre

"Alright, what's going on between you two?" Morgan asked as he sat down on the edge of Reid's desk and threw a file down.

Reid looked up from his book as Morgan continued to stare at the boy curiously.

"What?"

"You and Andy. Ever since she got back from her personal time and you followed her, the two of you have been closer," Morgan then smirked and wiggled his eyebrows, "What happened up there, Pretty Boy?"

Reid scoffed in disgust and properly set down his book, "Nothing happened."

"Really? Because I can see those small glances you give her every ten seconds buddy."

Garcia and JJ walked in on the conversation and surrounded the poor genius.

"Seriously, Derek Morgan! It's obvious that our own little genius has a crush!" Garcia gushed, ruffling Reid's hair. Reid pulled away from her touch as the other two laughed. He smoothed his hair back and sighed, "Nothing happened and nothing will happen."

"Spence, it's obvious that you two like each other. Why don't you just ask her out?" JJ asked gently.

"It's not like that."

"Look man, no one here would judge you if you guys starting getting involved. We get it, she's cute, smart, and exactly your type," Morgan shrugged.

"I am not involved with Andy!" Reid erupted as the others looked behind his head and bowed their heads awkwardly.

Reid swiveled around and stared as Andy closed the door to Rossi's office quietly and quirked her eyebrows at them. Reid instantly blushed and turned back to his book, hiding his face with his hand. The others dispersed quickly as Andy approached her desk and began her work. There was an awkward silence between them as a few minutes passed by with Reid biting his fingernails anxiously. Andy smirked as she saw his glances towards her and waited until the others left the office before walking back over to his side of the desk.

"Do you want to grab a coffee after work?" she asked quietly.

He shrugged and she lightly punched his shoulder, "Come on, lighten up. I'm the one who's supposed to be sad, not you."

Reid cracked a grin as he looked up at her. A small smile graced her lips and caused her eyes to shine, the brown in them turning to a light hazel.

He finally nodded in agreement and she went back to her seat.

"Why were you in Rossi's office?" he asked as she sat down.

"We were just talking. Therapy basically."

Reid nodded in understanding and glanced back to her, "How are you doing? It's been a few weeks since-"

"I'm doing okay," she interrupted, forcing a smile on her face, "I am slowly accepting it."

"And the nightmares?"

She faltered and briefly looked down at her lap. It lasted only a few seconds after which she cleared her throat and straightened up, "Better. They're not as frequent. Thank you for the help on those by the way."

"Of course."

They smiled at each other as the group came back with food. JJ placed Andy's food on her desk before looking down at the open file.

"What's this?" she asked, reaching to pick it up. Andy quickly snatched it away and shoved it in the bottom drawer of her desk.

"It's nothing."

JJ looked at her skeptically before shrugging and walking back to her office. The others noticed this exchanged and mentally marked it down in their brains. Ever since Ryan died, Andy's demeanor changed whenever people would try to check up on her or ask her about things. She became more private and secretive. She only talked to Rossi about her problems, given that he was like the grandpa of the group. This was just another example of how the change affected her.

Andy quickly dove into her food and munched on it as she pulled out an actual file and wrote her report. She excused herself later on to go to the bathroom and the others waited until she was gone to speak.

"Has everyone noticed that she went through the grieving process super quick?" Prentiss asked.

"Maybe she's used to it," Morgan shrugged.

"She's not experienced enough to be used to it. I mean this guy was practically like her brother, right? Seems like an awful short time to recover."

"Well she's technically not fully recovered. While she did go through brief phases of the stages of grief, she never truly delved into stage three and she's not completely at the acceptance stage either. I think the reason she passed through these stages is because of her experience undercover from having to adapt to loss or change. It's actually extremely common in long time soldiers and undercover agents," Reid informed.

"Ok genius, you tell us. How is she really doing?" Morgan said.

"I think she's on her way to acceptance."

"Or she's just really good at faking it," Garcia added.

"I wouldn't be surprised," Prentiss scoffed.

They returned to their work until night drew closer and they began to pack up for the day. Andy approached Reid quietly as she slipped on her coat.

"Are we still on for coffee?"

Reid shook his head apologetically, "Hotch asked me to help him overtime. We can reschedule though."

"Alright, goodnight Spence."

"Night."

She left the office with Morgan by her side up until they reached their cars.

"So...you and Reid?"

Andy laughed, "It's not like that."

"Looks like it."

"Well it isn't."

"Weren't you the one who told us to just ask you if we had any questions? Come on Delvaux, just lay it all out. Something happened up there."

Andy sighed and rested her arm on her door before smirking, "We slept together."

Morgan's jaw dropped as she smugly got in her car. He moved around to her door and leaned in.

"What do you mean you two slept together?" he asked incredulously.

"We slept in the same bed. On opposite sides, with no physical contact. What else did you think it meant?" she asked innocently.

Morgan scoffed at her as she laughed. He straightened up as her engine roared to life.

"Trust me Morgan, it was just a friend comforting another friend. Nothing else. Goodnight."

He mumbled a small farewell as she backed up and drove home. She quickly took a shower and flopped down on the bed, pulling the covers over half of her face and closing her eyes.

-

Andy cracked open an eye to the sound that came from her phone. She ignored it until the noise somehow became louder. She groaned and threw one hand out to grab the phone and lazily pressed accept.

"Who dares wake thee?" she asked stupidly, forgetting all professionalism.

"Doctor of the Dark Ages."

Andy groaned lightly as she pulled her other arm underneath her and looked over to the clock on her right, "Reid, it's three in the morning and I want nothing more than to sleep."

"But we have a case."

"And I have a case of sleep deprivation."

"I'll bring the coffee?" he offered.

Andy rubbed the black dots from her vision as she looked at the clock again. She internally groaned and let out a sigh, "You drive a hard bargain, Dr. Reid. I'll be there soon."

"Meet us at the jet."

---

"Every word has consequences. Every silence, too."

-Jean Paul Sartre