Chapter 69 - Juliette Lewis

"What do you mean she doesn't want to see us?" Reid fumed.

"She's not in a good state," Hotch spoke calmly, "She asked for privacy."

Reid huffed as Andy's parents solemnly nodded. The kids were on Reid's side, wanting to go in.

"No one goes in, that's final," he ordered sternly. He went to calm the kids down but Reid breezed past him and ran down the hall.

Everyone just sighed, too tired to stop him, knowing it wasn't worth the effort. They knew he wouldn't stop for anything. Reid panted as he made it to the room where Hotch had come from.

He quietly approached the door with Andy's name on it. He breathed deeply a few times before twisting the knob and opening it gently.

Andy's head carefully turned to the door, her eyes filling with fear as Reid entered.

"You shouldn't be here," she whispered.

Reid sat down in the chair next to her, unable to take his eyes off her mauled face.

"I'm not leaving you alone ever again," he said fiercely, "I don't care if you think you look weak."

"Reid-"

"I am always going to be in your corner. Always."

Andy closed her mouth and cried more, looking at the man she loved dearly. He smiled widely at her, finally comprehending that she was alive and safe.

His own tears fell from his eyes as he reached to her hand. When he grabbed it, she flinched. But Reid held onto her hand gently, causing her to relax and melt into his palm.

At the contact, more tears rushed from their faces as Andy attempted to smile. She winced as she did so, her grip on his hand loosening.

"You need rest," Reid said.

She nodded and moved her head back to neutral position and closed her eyes, "Don't leave."

"Not a chance."

-

While the two agents fell asleep, Rossi had convinced her family to go back to his house to rest and change. He told them that when they were done getting freshened up, Andy might want to see them.

He sighed as a protective detail drove them to the house. He watched from the window as the car drove away.

"Her brother should be here soon. He was on a business retreat in the Smoky Mountains so he wasn't able to receive any alerts," Hotch informed.

"Does Andy really not want to see us?" Garcia whispered timidly. Her waterline brimmed with tears as she leaned into Morgan's side.

Hotch sighed, "She doesn't want us to see her in a weakened state."

"But we already did. When she was on camera," JJ reminded.

"The message more implies to the kids. She's the only strong figure in their lives and she wants to keep that intact."

They nodded in understanding as Rossi joined back in, "When can we see her?"

"Probably not for awhile," he said truthfully, "I suggest everyone goes home and gets some rest. We can come back in the morning and see how she does."

"I'll stay here in case anything happens," Prentiss offered, "You guys should go home to your families."

They gave her a nod of respect as they gathered their things and tiredly made their way to the elevator. They all dropped each other off at their homes.

JJ walked into her house and saw that Will was sitting in the kitchen waiting for her. When he saw her, he approached her. His eyes conveyed a question and she smiled. He wrapped his arms around her tightly, giving her the comfort she needed. The tears she'd been holding back were flowing freely now, her emotional restraints broken.

Morgan stayed at Garcia's apartment that night, the blonde too scared to be alone. He spent the better part of the night holding her tightly and handing her tissues. When sleeping wasn't good enough for Garcia, she started baking at three in the morning. This was the only time Derek had found time to pass out on the couch.

Prentiss stayed at the hospital, making herself comfortable on the waiting room couch. She had kept the doctors report and was reading over all of Andy's injuries: severe concussion, lacerations on the obliques and shoulders, stab wounds to the leg and stomach, bullet wound in the shoulder, a broken knee and fractured orbital bone.

Prentiss was so overwhelmed by it all that she closed the report folder and closed her eyes, trying to erase the memories of watching all of that horror unfold on her friend.

No one got much rest that night.

-

Reid woke up to the rapid beeping in the room. He immediately heard the sounds grow faster as he opened his eyes. Andy was still asleep, but mumbled in her sleep. Her hand twitched under his as he leaned forward and shook her arm lightly.

"Andy, wake up."

Her mumbling became louder and her heart rate faster.

"Andy!"

Her eyes opened abruptly and her breathing became irregular. She looked around for Reid, to whom reassured her that she was fine. She started crying heavily and Reid held her hand tighter, afraid to give her a hug in case he hurt her. Her chest rose and fell rapidly as she sobbed more. When she slowed her tears, she kept her eyes closed for a few minutes to hone in on her breathing.

Reid kept quiet, unsure of what to say or do. He was saved the query when Prentiss quietly entered the room.

"I know you don't want us to see you," she said, "But I had to make sure you're okay. Are you?"

Andy didn't respond, she just blankly stared at the woman with puffy red eyes. Prentiss moved to the other side of the bed and held her other hand, careful to avoid her wrist.

"We're gonna get through this. Together." she assured.

Andy nodded and moved her gaze to the ceiling. The three sat in the room for a long time without saying anything. The sun started to shine more brightly through the blinds, indicating that the day was approaching.

"Are you ready to see everyone?" Reid whispered.

Andy nodded, confident that she trusted her family and friends.

---

"The bravest thing I ever did was continuing my life when I wanted to die."

-Juliette Lewis