Chapter 72 - Chuck Palahniuk

"Physical therapy is important," Rossi reminded gently.

Andy scoffed, "Physical therapy is a waste of time. You take one step and it costs you three hundred bucks."

"Don't worry about the expenses."

Rossi walked in right after her family had come to say their goodbyes. He had briefly spoken to her doctor about her recovery and he had to bring up the subject of therapy. With Andy's recent distance and coldness, it was hard to convince her.

"Amore, just think about it. For me?"

Andy sighed and nodded. Rossi gave her a thin smile before pulling out a gift bag from the ground.

"Penelope sends her regards through baked goods, and I send mine through pasta."

He pulled out a container of pasta and placed it in the mini fridge. Andy thanked him quietly as Reid entered the room again. The nurse came in and persuaded Andy to let her change her dressings, which they had gotten used to after awhile. This was the first time without Reid in the room so Andy was still a little scared.

Reid and Rossi stood outside the room and talked briefly.

"Hotch wants the two of us to go to a seminar scheduled for this weekend," Rossi informed.

"I can't leave her like this."

"He assured me that it will only be two days at most and he's willing to stay with her the entire time."

"Can't we just reschedule?" he asked.

"This is the rescheduled date. We delayed it the last time because we were on a case. We don't have an excuse now."

"I think that an injured agent counts as an excuse," he argued.

"Maybe for one agent it does. But not the whole team. Listen Spencer, you and I can get this done quickly. When we do, you'll be back here in no time."

Reid sighed and looked through the window to see Andy trying to calm her breathing. He looked back at Rossi and reluctantly nodded. Rossi patted him on the shoulder before leaving.

Reid came back in the room just in time as the nurse pulled out a needle. Andy cried out and smacked her hand away.

"It's just a pain medication," the nurse assured.

Andy smacked her hand away again and Reid tried to control her. He held her gently and turned her face towards him, "Andy, it will help you feel better."

"I don't want it," she whispered. She eyed the needle nervously and shook in his hands. Reid wondered why she was acting this way but then remembered the dilaudid. He sighed, feeling like it was all his fault.

"Is the shot necessary?" he asked the nurse quietly. The nurse shook her head and put it away. She adjusted her cart before leaving the room, Reid following her.

"She has a bad experience with needles and pain relieving drugs. She'll probably freak out whenever those are around her," he informed.

The nurse nodded in understanding, "So far, we haven't had to give her any shots or medication that is necessary other than the IV, but she seems to be handling that well enough. She still doesn't trust me."

"I'll talk to her about it."

He walked back into the room and sat in front of Andy. She was still in a sitting position with her feet dangling. It was progress, considering she was sitting on her own.

He briefly glanced at her severely bruised knee before sighing, "Andy, she's trying to help."

"I know."

"Then why won't you let her?"

She shrugged, "I'm not used to letting strangers see me like this."

"Well, you're going to be here a long time. And she's going to be here every step of the way. You need to trust her," he said firmly.

Andy sighed and nodded lightly, looking down at her hands. Reid huffed quietly and helped her lay back down, her cries slightly quieter.

"She'll be back in awhile."

She nodded and looked over at the fridge. Reid followed her gaze.

"Are you hungry?"

She nodded and he walked over and opened the fridge. He smiled, "I see Rossi didn't disappoint."

He put some pasta on two plates and carefully sat down next to her. Andy tried to eat on her own but her arms were failing her. Reid took the fork from her and gently fed her.

She rolled her eyes, "I feel like a baby."

"Baby or not, you're still gonna need help. Just take it slow."

She huffed but let him continue to help her eat. Not to be mistaken as ungrateful, since she really did appreciate his efforts. Without Reid, Andy was sure she wouldn't have made it this far.

When she looked at his tired face and heavy bags, she slowly raised her arms to his cheek. He looked up at her in the motion and furrowed his eyebrows.

"Thank you," she whispered.

He placed his hand over hers on his cheek and smiled; blushing softly as he placed more food on the fork. Andy shook her head when he offered it to her.

"Full?"

"It hurts to chew," she said as she motioned to her bruised jaw.

He nodded in understanding and he cleaned up their plates and things. He sat back down with her and she looked into his eyes very thoughtfully.

"Whenever you look at me like that, I get nervous," he joked.

She sighed and brushed his hand softly, "I overheard you and Rossi. You should go."

Reid licked his lips and protested, "I'm not gonna leave you here alone. Especially not now."

"I won't be alone. I have the rest of the team here. Besides, I can handle myself for a few days."

He sighed, "The last time you were alone, bad things happened."

Andy's face turned pitiful as she looked at the man before her. His tough facade was breaking as she saw his true self shine through.

"Bad things happen because of bad people. Not because I was alone."

"It doesn't matter. I'm not leaving until you're healed."

"Spence, you can't live in the hospital. It's not healthy for you."

"I don't care."

She sighed, "Don't stop living your life because I'm stuck in here. I'm asking for one favor, and that's it. Don't worry about me for once and go do your job."

Reid huffed and looked at her in concern. He truly didn't want to leave her, afraid she would get hurt again. But when he saw her familiar resolve in her eyes, he melted. He sighed and nodded, giving in to her.

She smiled lightly and squeezed his hand, their newfound gesture for an expression words couldn't describe.

---

"All human beings search for either reasons to be good, or excuses to be bad."

-Chuck Palahniuk