Chapter 74 - Lemony Snicket

"So Spence called me and said he was on his way back home. He seemed really anxious."

Andy scoffed, "He didn't want to leave in the first place."

"Correction, he didn't want to leave you."

Andy playfully rolled her eyes and looked at JJ, who sat on the end of her bed. JJ placed down her cards before drawing another one.

They had been playing card games for an hour. It was JJ's attempt to cure her boredom. She filled her in on everything going on at the office and with the team.

"Garcia made a chart for who got to see you and what they would bring. She didn't want anyone to overcrowd you or bring something you didn't like."

Andy chuckled and JJ joined her, happy to see Andy's smile. The younger one placed a card down, "She really goes all out."

"Penelope Garcia at her finest."

Andy had a small moment of deja vu before looking up at the tv. JJ kept her entertained for the time it took Reid to come back. It was mid-afternoon when Reid burst into the room, hair wild and aloof.

He smiled when he saw his favorite women. He rushed over to his girl and gave her a tight hug. Andy grunted when he hit her body, the slight pain in her chest and shoulder resurfacing. He apologized but didn't let go.

Andy had to admit that she felt slightly more vulnerable when he was gone. She missed him just as much as he missed her. He kissed her forehead gently before moving himself over to give JJ a hug.

Once he was done, he tiredly plopped down on his chair.

"How was the seminar?"

"They asked why you weren't there," he replied.

Andy chuckled, "What did you say?"

"I didn't say anything. Rossi had to step in and say you were on vacation."

The girls smiled in response. JJ pulled out her phone and checked the text she received, "It's Will. I should probably get home to the boys."

She gathered her things and said her goodbyes. That left Reid and Andy alone. Andy looked at the man next to her and noticed his appearance.

"You should take a shower," she suggested.

He raised his eyebrows at her, "Are you trying to say I smell?"

She laughed, "I'm trying to say you look...scruffy."

It was his turn to laugh as he scratched at the small scruff he was growing on his face. She watched as he grabbed his extra pair of clothes and closed the bathroom door.

She waited for awhile as he took a brief shower. He came back out in his sweatpants and shaving cream on his chin. Andy smiled lightly at the look and he only rolled his eyes.

She watched tv as he got ready and he came back out fresh. She tried to move herself out of the bed but he rushed to her side.

"What are you doing?"

She groaned as he held her back from moving. She still picked up her leg and lifted it to the edge.

"Andy! You can't do that!"

She rolled her eyes as he firmly set his hands on her arms.

"Reid, I'm bored out of my mind. Can we please go on a walk?" she asked.

"A walk?" he asked incredulously, "Andy, your knee is broken and your thigh is healing. You are in no condition to go for a walk!"

"Can we at least get out of this room? I'm staring at blank walls all day!" she argued.

He sighed and looked around the room. He spotted something and nodded towards it. She turned her head and saw the wheelchair.

"Absolutely not!"

He huffed, "You either sit in that or we stay in the room. Your choice."

She huffed and reluctantly nodded. He walked over and grabbed the chair, unfolding it next to the bed. He carefully lifted her down to the chair, wincing being heard every now and then.

When she was finally situated, Reid lifted the leg portion up to keep her knee propped. Andy adjusted herself as he rolled her out of the room and down the hall.

It was filled walk to wall with doctors and patients roaming the halls. Reid has to squeeze by the crowds and the equipment left in the way. He tried to avoid all obstacles but failed to see the cart that stuck out. He ran the chair into the end of it and she shouted, "Ow! Watch it!"

He grimaced, "Sorry."

She calmly exhaled all the pain out and cursed under her breath.

"Can we go outside?" she questioned once she was fine again.

"Are you gonna try and leave if we do?" he responded jokingly.

She scoffed and rolled her eyes as he wheeled her to the elevator. They made it outside in two minutes and parked themselves in a nearby gazebo towards the calmer side of the hospital.

Andy sighed as she breathed in the fresh air and felt the wind hit her face. Reid noticed that she instantly looked better.

"It's been awhile, huh?" he mused as he sat down.

She nodded, "I've never really stopped to appreciate the fresh air before. It's the small things that you forget. I didn't even realize all the things I was missing out on until-"

She cut herself short and stopped talking. She bit the inside of her cheek and continued to look out. Reid sighed and scooted closer to the wheelchair.

"You know, I remind myself of the little things everyday. Because of you."

Andy turned to him slowly and tilted her head in curiosity. He smiled, "I think of your smile, your laugh. I think of those little moments in the morning when you're barely awake and when you mumble in your sleep."

Andy closed her eyes and looked down at her lap. He gently grasped her hand, "The little things in life don't have to be forgotten."

She chuckled and squeezed his hand gently, looking back into the sidewalk.

"Do you bring a book?" she asked, changing the subject before she could cry again.

He sighed at her abrupt change but nodded. He pulled it out of the back bag of her chair.

"The Count of Monte Crisco. I've already read it but I was rereading it because I knew that you were interested in it."

"When did I say that?" she laughed.

"Seven months and three weeks ago."

"You remember that far back?"

He nodded as she only shook her head. He pulled his bookmark out and started reading aloud to her. All things considering, it was a very peaceful day they had, which was much needed.

---

"The sea is nothing but a library of all the tears in history."

-Lemony Snicket