Chapter 104 - Christopher Poindexter

Andy and Reid were left alone in the conference room as everyone else made their rounds to finish up the case. He brought back a small ice pack and hefted her leg up to his lap.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"I'm pretty sure that jumping off a rooftop counts as strenuous activity on the body. That includes previous injuries. For example, the knee," he said pointedly, setting the coldness on the spot.

She hissed at the contact and sag up straighter, "I assure you, Doctor Reid, I am in perfectly good condition."

"Until your knee gives out," he rolled his eyes. She smacked his arm lightly, which caused him to laugh. She lightly kissed his cheek and turned back to the computer on her lap.

"What's that?" he questioned.

"Our new friend, Jason Frasel, aka Ares, had a laptop with him. I'm taking a crack at it before it's turned over to evidence."

"Why do you need it?"

"We don't," she answered, "But if there is evidence of other unsolved murders, then many be it would help those families get a little closure."

He smiled warmly, "You're so compassionate. It's what I love about you."

She smiled teasingly, "I thought you loved my witty personality and smart ass commentary."

"Well I love that too."

They laughed together and kissed briefly before he stood up. He gently laid her leg back down on the chair he was on, "Keep that on. I'll be back in a few minutes."

She nodded as he left the room and joined the room where JJ was interviewing Mrs. Felding. He patiently waited outside the door as the blonde comforted the upset wife. Or ex-wife, as it would presently be. JJ excused herself before closing the door and sighing.

"Must be tough for her," Reid stated.

They sat down on a bench nearby. JJ chuckled softly, "Did you know that they'd been together for almost fifteen years? Fifteen years of love and somehow along the way...it's just gone. I don't get it."

"I wonder what happened."

"When we were out shopping for her new look, Andy told me that Felding said it was because his wife was making him in debt. And she was being difficult about it," she sighed, "You'd think after being together for so long, you'd learn to compromise."

"Fifteen years?" he repeated, unbelieving.

She nodded slowly, "Seven years dating. And Eight years married."

"Wow..." he gaped.

"Makes you wonder doesn't it?" she hinted.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It makes me wonder whether they were really in love or not. Mrs. Felding in there was so sure that they still loved each other. Yet, he still tried to kill her."

"Jennifer, what's your point?"

She smiled, "Do you and Andy love each other?"

"Of course!" he answered defiantly.

"Then why haven't you married her?"

"W-we're still working things out."

"Like what?" she asked, "You already live together. You've gone through traumatic experiences together. The both of you love each other. What's stopping you?"

He frowned and looked down at his hands. His friend gently laid her own hand on his shoulder in comfort, sensing his sensitivity to the subject.

"What if-" his voice cracked, "What if she doesn't want to?"

"Doesn't want to marry you?"

He shook his head, "Doesn't want to build a life together...a family."

JJ sighed and pulled him into a hug, "If there's one thing I've learned from knowing Andy, it's that she does everything and anything for her family and the people she loves. And she loves you, Spence. So if you want to marry her and spend the rest of your life with her, then I'm almost positive she does as well."

He sighed and squeezed her tightly. She rubbed his back briefly before letting go, seeing the young man's eyes swell up.

He cleared his throat, "Thanks."

"Anytime."

Their conversation was interrupted by a very curious David Rossi. He poked his head through the hallway and stood in front of them, "I may have been eavesdropping a bit."

Reid chuckled and stood up, Rossi's hand on his shoulder, "I know you two will not be like me. Your love is one that has withstood many obstacles. I'm sure that it can withstand the obstacle of life, especially with each other by your side."

Reid smiled, "Thank you. But if I'm going to do this, I'm gonna need everyone's help to make it perfect."

"Whatever you need," JJ assured.

He smiled and excused himself to make a phone call. He walked outside of the station to make sure his conversation was entirely private. He waited for the rings on the line to end before hearing the dulcet voice on the other end, sounding very similar to her daughter's.

"Spencer! Is everything alright?" Mrs. Delvaux asked.

"Everything's fine."

"Last time you called me out of the blue something bad happened? Is Andy okay?"

"Andy's fine," he assured, "I've actually called with a question for you and your husband."

He waited for effect and inhale deeply. This was the moment that could change his life.

"May I have your blessing to marry your daughter?"

The silence on the other side was killing him. The agonizing weight of not knowing the answer was making his delight fade by a fraction.

"Matt! Get down here!"

He waited as Mrs. Delvaux shouted excitedly for her husband to join the call.

"Sweetie, I was just-"

"Spencer wants to marry Andy!" she interrupted.

Again, silence on the other side. Mere seconds ticked away as initial shock set in.

"Finally!" he rejoiced, "I thought you'd never ask!"

"So I assume it's a yes?" Reid asked with confusion.

"Yes!" they shouted in unison.

"Great," he laughed nervously, "That's such a relief."

"Oh, I have so many plans for you guys! I have been preparing for my baby girls wedding since the day we got her!"

"Slow down," Matt calmed, "He still has to ask her."

"I would also like to ask the kids for their blessing. They mean so much to her and it would mean a lot to me."

"You guys can come down this weekend and we can arrange for the kids to visit. We'll have Andy and Matt clean out the basement as a distraction while you ask them," she planned.

"Great," Reid sighed happily, the smile permanently etched on his face. He stayed on the phone with her parents for another five minutes as her mom wouldn't stop gushing over how excited she was. The call only ended when Hotch called him back into the station.

He gathered them all back in the conference room to pack up before leaving for the airport. Andy glanced at her phone as Reid entered the room again, "My mom just asked if we could help clean out the basement this weekend. Is that alright with you?"

He smiled, "Nothing I'd rather do."

---

"The purpose of life is not to just be happy. The purpose of life my love, is to feel. You must understand that your pain, is essential."

-Christopher Poindexter