Chapter 81 - Albert Camus

"Okay, so now that local PD has been given the profile, should we distribute it to the media?" JJ asked.

"That's a good idea. Set up a press conference," Hotch said before he left the room.

JJ nodded and called Garcia. But Andy followed Hotch outside and tapped his shoulder.

"What else can I do, sir?" she asked excitedly.

"You can help with victimology and location."

"All due respect, victimology is a dead end. And the location is too wide range for it to be affective. Besides, I've studied every inch of the place on the map myself."

He sighed and put his phone in his pocket, "You're nose diving."

"I'm sorry?"

"You're jumping in head first into the deep end," he explained, "You've dedicated yourself to this case more than you have before."

She smiled loosely, "I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say."

"I'm saying that you need to slow down."

"Slow down?" she said unbelievably, "You want me to slow down when there's a killer on the loose?"

He sighed, "I'm saying to slow down and take a breather. I know that you're eager to prove that you're still valuable to this team."

She opened her mouth but he held his hand to stop her, "But we all know that you are. You don't need to convince us by coming out strong."

"I'm doing my job, Hotch."

"It's just a warning: take it slow."

She huffed and crossed her arms, "Fine, but I still need something to do."

He looked around and placed his hands on his hips in a tired manner, "Fine. I just got word from the forest rangers that the locals convinced them to open the trail again."

"That's crazy!"

He calmed her, "I know. I want you to take Rossi over to the ranger station and persuade them to close it again. If you need, stay and watch the trail yourself."

She nodded, "Easy enough."

She moved to call for Rossi before the both of them drove out to the ranger station within twenty minutes.

"How do you want to approach this?" Rossi asked, noticing her excited body language.

"I figure we start out polite but bring out some aggressiveness if we need to," she shrugged.

He nodded in agreement and held the door open for her as they stepped into the small cabin-like building. Sheriff Wilson and another ranger greeted them at the door with handshakes.

"It's come to our attention that the trail was reopened?" Rossi asked.

The ranger nodded, "The locals petitioned to keep it open. We were out numbered."

"Are they aware that a killer is hunting on that trail?" Andy inquired.

"We were told not to inform the public of the circumstances. But we did caution them against a potential threat."

"One of our agents will be holding a press conference later on. Try to spread the message to the locals and hikers in the area. We don't want any more people dying because they think it's safe," Rossi stated firmly.

The sheriff and ranger nodded before walking off to fix the situation. Andy frowned, "That was easy."

"Did you expect a fight?"