11

"So, Vee. You're single, right?"

          I look at my co-worker, Alyx, and nod. We're currently sitting in the break room. Alyx is nice, but we only talk at work. "Yeah... why do you ask?"

          She smiled. "Well, I have this friend, and-"

          "If you're trying to set me up on a blind date, the answer is no," I chuckle.

          Alyx groaned, "C'mon! It'll be fun. I feel like you guys will have a lot in common."

          "Like?" I ask.

          "Well, he's an artist-"

          "No, stop- I was kidding. I'm really not interested, Alyx."

          She huffed, crossing her arms. "How about... if you go on one date with him, I'll take over a week's worth of your shifts. You don't even have to enjoy yourself! Just go and be you and see where it goes. Deal? Gene would love to meet you."

          I cringe at the name. "Gene?" I laugh. "Who in the world is actually named Gene?"

          "Vee, am I doing your work for a week or not?"

          I look at Alyx for a moment. I'd rather stay home and play Minecraft with Wilbur, Carson, and them. It would be nice to have a week off, though, even if I don't wanna go on a stupid blind date. I sigh and finally give in. "Fine," I say, "I'll go."

          Alyx let out a squeal, rushing over to hug me. I sit there awkwardly as she does. When she pulled away, she looked at me, still holding onto my shoulders. "Tonight works, right?" she asks.

          "Yeah, I guess."

          She smiled. "Perfect. I'll give him your number, okay?"

          "Alright, you do that. I'm gonna get back to work," I sigh, leaving the room. This might be the only time that I actually have to myself today, so I'm gonna make the most of it.