46

"What're you doing here?" he asked.

Wilbur looked miserable. His hair was longer than he normally kept it, as well as his facial hair. His eyes were bloodshot, full of tears. I wanted to hug him. I wanted to so bad. But I didn't know if I could.

"I wanna talk to you," I shrugged. "Before you leave."

"Why?" he mumbled.

"Because I love you, Wilbur..."

He looked at the ground. "You don't love Cooper?"

I groaned. "Wil. I don't like Cooper. I never did. I've always loved you. You didn't hear me out-"

"What was there to hear out?"

"I didn't kiss him back."

Wilbur froze. He looked at me, confused, yet relieved. "You what?"

"I did not kiss Cooper back. He kissed me and that was it."

"I... Shit. I'm so sorry, Vee- I- I jumped to conclusions- I thought it was like every other situation I've been in and-"

I placed my lips upon his to shut him up, wrapping my arms around his neck. He kissed me back, pulling me closer. When I pulled away, he hid his face in my hair- well- he laid his head on top of mine. 

"It's okay, Wilbur..."

"Please never let me leave you again," he whispered. "I'm miserable without you."

"Me too, Wil."

"I missed you so much, Vee."

"I missed you too."

He placed his hands on my shoulders, looking at me through waterfalls. "Stay with me tonight. Please."

"Here?" I asked.

He put a hand on my cheek. "Yes. I want my last night in America to be with you. I want my last minute- last second, even- in America with you."

I smiled softly, nodding. "Of course I'll stay with you."

He hugged me tightly, me hugging him back.

I finally felt safe again now that I was in his arms.