13

a/n - sorry this is so late! been really distracted lately. wanted this to be a bit longer. school is out because of corona so I should be able to write more <3 ALSO JUST UPDATING THIS CHAPTER TO ADD A TRIGGER WARNING BC I DIDN'T WHEN I WROTE IT </3

!! trigger warning on this chapter: attempted sexual assault, forced kissing, stuff like that...idk why i chose this outcome tbh !!

I step out of Carson's car, thanking him and Travis when I see a lean man with aviator framed glasses and messy blonde hair smile at me. "Vee?"

"That's me," I smile awkwardly, looking at him. I didn't have to look up much to make eye contact with him.

He watched as Carson drove away. "You took an Uber? I could've picked you up," Gene said politely. He started to walk inside the fancy looking building. I was kind of glad that Elena did my hair and my makeup now.

"What? Oh- no, those were my friends. I was gonna walk, but they brought me," I explained, following him in.

Gene nodded. "That was nice of them... Speaking of nice, you look great."

I opened my mouth to respond to at least thank him, but then the hostess came over to show us to our seats. Talking to Gene was nerve-wracking enough, I don't need an audience watching me as I embarrass myself. She sat us down in a booth next to a window and handed us our menus. I thanked her once she left, saying she'd be back in a moment.

"So, uh, this is kind of all new to me," I mumbled. "Dating, that is. Um, so-"

"How about we get some drinks?" he asked. "Then maybe you won't be so nervous."

"Maybe," I shrugged, giving in. It wouldn't be too bad to have just a few to loosen up. I don't want to be a buzzkill the entire time. So when the hostess came back, I ordered myself a glass of wine. Gene got a martini. They didn't have very many other options. Our food wasn't any better.

As we talked, it was hard for me to focus on what he was saying. My mind was elsewhere. What was Elena eating? Was Wilbur in bed? Are Carson and Travis picking me up, too? It seemed that I had no trouble thinking just about everything except for this date.

Although I had trouble listening, I noticed that Gene continued to get more drinks. He tried to persuade me to have some more, too. In the end, I only had two glasses and so did he. But two turned into three and three soon turned into four. Even after five, he kept going. I don't know how he got here, but he certainly wasn't in the right condition to be driving himself home.

I learned that he's currently studying to be an accountant. Well, at least he sees himself somewhere in the future, unlike me. I don't see myself going back to college or leaving Target any time soon if I'm being honest. I don't even know what I'd do if I did either of those things. 

"So, Bee-" Gene slurred.

"Vee," I corrected him. "It's Vee. Short for Vicki."

"Pssh, Vee, Bee, same thing. Let's go back to my place, yeah?"

I watched him as he wrote a check for our meal. What would happen if I went back to his place? Nothing good, I'm guessing. I decided to just avoid the question by asking another one. Hopefully, he was too drunk to notice.

"How'd you get here again?" I asked.

"Uber, I think. Why?"

I shrugged. "I could get my friends that brought me here to give you a ride home, too. Then you won't have to pay for another Uber and I won't feel as bad for letting you pay for everything tonight. Sound good?"

Gene nodded, smiling a bit. "That sounds great, Bee," he said as he got up.

"Vee," I mumbled, pulling my phone out of my pocket. As I followed Gene out of the building, I called Carson's number. "Hey, Carson. Were you guys planning on picking me up?" I asked when he picked up.

"Yeah, I was just about to text you. Still at the same place? Travis and I can be there in a few," he said. I could hear his smile through the phone, as well as Travis trying to yell hi at me.

I chuckled at the noise of Travis in the background. "Yes, thank you, Carson. And tell Travis I say hi before he loses his voice," I joked.

"He'll be fine," he said. "See ya, Vee."

"Bye Carson," I laughed as he hung up. I looked up at Gene. "My friends will be here soon."

"Perfect," he said, wrapping his arm around me. "Gives us a little time."

As soon as I was about to question what he meant, he placed his lips onto mine. Very, very aggressively. And wetly, if that's a word. I could smell the alcohol on his mouth, his breath, and his tongue that he was currently trying to shove down my throat (which I wasn't into, for the record). 

I tried to pull away from him, but he wouldn't let me go. His grip was too strong. I tried to hit him away, but he just grabbed my wrists.

What drove me crazy about this was that everyone walking past us did nothing. Was it not obvious that I wanted to be away from this man or was rape so normalized these days that people don't bother to stop it? I know this technically isn't rape to a full extent, but I don't want it to end up that way either. 

When a car pulled up to the curb next to us, I was relieved. I tried pushing Gene away again to let him know that Carson and Travis were here, but he wouldn't stop. He started putting one of his hands on my stomach and slowly lowered it...

"Hey! Get off of her, dude!" 

Gene quickly pulled away from me and when I looked over, Travis was standing there. I quickly ran up to him as he held out his arms for me.

"What is your problem?!" he shouted as I looked around for Carson. He was in the car on his phone. Did he really not care?

"I don't have a problem!" Gene slurred. "She's the one with the problem!"

"Vee doesn't have any problems. She is great. Okay, sir? What made you think you could just grab her when she obviously did not want that?"

"She asked for it! Look at her!"

I looked down at my outfit. Maybe my dress was a little short... I don't know.

I heard a car door open and close behind me. I looked over and saw Carson. "Man, look," he said, "I just got off the phone with the police. You can't be doing this shit, okay? They said that this isn't considered rape, but if we hadn't gotten here the time we did, what would you have done to her? Nothing good is my guess."

I teared up. I was suddenly very glad that I had met Carson and Travis the other day. And I was even more glad that Wilbur suggested I didn't walk tonight. Carson spoke so calmly to Gene, but you could tell that he was pissed. He even called the cops for me. Travis looked like he could break down at any moment, but it showed that he cared. I felt so lucky to have them right now. If I didn't, who knows what could've happened in just the next few minutes?

My thoughts were interrupted by a sharp pain on my right cheek. I looked and saw Carson holding Gene back from me, his arm raised. He slapped me. I held my hand up to my cheek in shock, feeling the wetness from my tears on it.

"Vee, get in the car," Travis mumbled to me, opening the back door. I climbed in, closing the door behind me. I looked out the window, watching the three guys. 

I know Carson and Travis won't hurt him. They aren't like that. I just wish I could hear what they're saying.

I got my phone out to distract myself from the situation. I decided to text Alyx.

Vee: i'm never letting you set me up on a date again.

Vee: ever.