12

After work, I went home and told Elena about the date. I don't know why, but she was really excited for me ("Your first California date!" she said. Little did she know it was my first date ever). She even begged to do my hair and makeup, which I don't normally do, but I let her do it anyway.

          "Vee, this is great," Elena smiled. "He is going to absolutely love you. Oh my gosh, if you guys get married, can I-"

          "Woah, woah, woah. Married? El, I've never met this guy."

          "Well, maybe he's your soulmate and you were destined to go on this date."

          I sigh and feel my phone vibrate. I grab it, thinking it's another text from Gene about the meeting place, but it isn't. It's Wilbur.

          Wilbur: Call? :)

          Vee: of course. gimme a second.

          When Elena finished curling my hair, and after she left the room, I FaceTimed Will. He picked up almost immediately.

          "Hi- oh, you're dressed fancy. What's the occasion? Is it the fact that you knew we'd be calling?" Wilbur chuckled.

          I shake my head. "It isn't that fancy. And no. I have a date, actually. If he ends up being a murderer, you'll fly to America for my funeral, right?"

          "Don't joke about that," he frowned.

          "Sorry," I chuckled. "Do you have any plans for the rest of the evening?"

          Wilbur shrugged. "Not anymore. My plans were to chat with you. I might play Minecraft with Schlatt, though. I promised him that I'd talk to him."

          "About what?" I asked.

          "Oh, just some feelings that he's been feeling, I guess."

          I nod, holding back the gay joke that I was about to make. I don't know if Wilbur would have found it funny or offensive (none of my jokes are meant to be offensive; some of them could be though if they're taken the wrong way). I look at the time. "I better get going," I sigh. "I have to meet this guy at someplace I've never heard of."

          "Are you walking?"

          "What? Yeah, I am. I only have enough gas to get to work tomorrow. Well, whenever I go back to work, that is."

          "You're not walking. Have Carson give you a ride," Wilbur suggested.

          I nod slowly. "Yeah. Okay. That's actually a good idea. Thanks, Will."

          "You're welcome. Have a good night, Vee."

          I smile. "You too," I say before hanging up. Right after I do so, I text Carson.

          Vee: hey carson, you busy?

          Carson: nah what's up?

          Vee: my car's almost out of gas. think you can give me a ride?

          Carson: yeah. it okay if i bring travis?

          Vee: of course :)

          Carson: send the address and we'll be there soon

          I send Carson the address to my apartment, as well as the address to the restaurant I'm supposed to be going to. He ended up showing up fairly quickly. On my way out, I said goodbye to Elena and headed out.

          "Hi, Vee!" Travis said as I opened the back door. I said hi and sat back, sighing. "Where are you going?"

          "A date," I shrug, putting my seatbelt on.

          Carson raised an eyebrow. "A date, huh? With who?"

          "I have no idea who he is, to be honest. His name is Gene. That's all I know."

          "Huh. Alright," Carson nodded. "Wilbur knows, right?"

          I nodded. "Yeah, he's the one that told me to text you because he didn't want me walking. Wait- why would he need to know anyway? We're just friends- you know that, right?"

          "Oh, yeah," he said. "I know, but you guys just seem really close and all so I assumed you told him."

          "Okay...," I mumbled as my phone vibrated once again.

          Gene: I'm here. Just waiting for you. :)

          Vee: alrighty, almost there

          I took a deep breath, looking out the window, dreading the next few hours to come.