25

made a one-shot book! and a ted book is in the works! :)

-Wilbur's POV-

Being with her makes me feel more alive than I have in a long time. I wish she'd walked into my life years ago. But maybe if she had, she'd be the one who hurt me instead of...

No, Wilbur. Don't think about her. Think about the amazing girl in front of you: Vee.

She smiled softly at me. "What are you thinking about?" she asked.

I bit my lip, laying down and looking up at her bedroom ceiling. "A lot of different things," I sighed.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

I looked at her. "What?"

Vee quickly got up from her bed, grabbing something off of her dresser. I sat up slightly to watch her. When she sat back on the bed, she grabbed my hand and placed hers in mine. When she pulled her hand away, there was a coin in my hand. 

"Penny for your thoughts. Tell me what you're thinking, Will."

"I just..." I shook my head, "No, I'll sound mad."

"You can tell me anything and I won't think anything differently of you. But if you don't want to tell me, that's okay, too."

I sighed, sitting cross-legged across from her. Even now, just sitting here, she was beautiful.

"I don't want to get all sentimental," I chuckled softly. "I guess I'm just really happy that I'm here with you. And I'm scared."

"Of what?" Vee asked.

"I don't have a great relationship history. And I don't want to lose you, I guess... like every girl I've dated before. They just... leave. And I don't want you to do the same so I'm just trying really hard not to mess things up this time."

I looked down in my lap, waiting for her to say something, anything. I heard Vee switch sitting positions, but that was it. When I looked back up, I saw her staring right at me. I opened my mouth to say something, but she leaned in and she kissed me softly.

Vee kissed me. I was surprised, but I kissed her back. Her lips were soft. I wanted to stay like this forever, but she pulled away and looked at me, wrapping her arms around my neck. "Wilbur, who hurt you?" I laughed lightly at her response. She continued talking, "I'm not here to just leave you or hurt you. I really like you, okay?"

I nodded. "Okay. I really like you too."

"Why'd they leave?" she asked softly.

"I dunno," I shrugged. "Maybe I was boring. Maybe they were tired of... the same thing every day," I finished, making sure not to quote myself too much.

Vee laughed. "You? Boring? But you're not boring. You're amazing, Wilbur. I don't date boring guys if you haven't heard."

I chuckled. "I guess you're right."

She smiled, "Lay down with me."

I nodded, laying down, pulling her down with me as she laughed. I could listen to that laugh all day. I wrapped my arms around her, spooning her. I hid my face in her neck. She was small, but that just made this easier for me.

"Vee?" I mumbled.

"Yeah?"

"Please don't leave me..."

"Wilbur, I don't plan on it. Okay?"

I nodded slowly. "Okay."

After a few minutes, when I thought she was asleep, I whispered, "I love you-"

"What did you say?" Vee asked.

Shit. I just said that. That was too soon, wasn't it? I didn't know she was awake. She's gonna hate me, isn't she? Goddamnit, Wilbur. Can't you think for just one second?

"Nothing, don't worry about it," I spoke quickly.

She shook her head lightly. "I love you too, Wilbur."

"Really?" I whispered.

"Yes. I love you."

"I love you," I smiled, closing my eyes. Maybe I wasn't a complete idiot after all.

I really do love her.