Part 12: Setting the Rules

The next morning, I woke up to find Harry pacing around again. His boots clicked on the ground angrily as he reached the bean bag spot once more. I sat up and as I did, Harry's eyes found mine.

"Did I wake you up?" he asked, sounding worried at the thought.

"No," I said. "Are you okay?"

"I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to stay," Harry said. "You know, because you only let me stay the night."

"What about Gil?" I asked. "Can't you stay at his house?"

"No, his dad is friends with my dad," Harry said.

"What about Uma?" I asked.

"Her mom wouldn't let me stay there, I'm practically a disappointment to everyone on the Isle," Harry sighed.

"You're not a disappointment," I said, reassuring him. "You are the best pirate I've ever met. Don't tell Gil and Uma though." Harry smiled at that. "And, if it helps any, I'll let you stay here for as long as you need."

"Really?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, for as long as you need," I said.

"Thank you, Chloe. This means a lot," Harry said.

"It's no big deal," I said, watching as Harry's body relaxed.

"Still, thank you," Harry said.

"You're welcome," I said. "But if you're going to stay here, we're going to set up some rules."

"Like what?" Harry asked.

"Rule one: we have sides. Yours is over by the bean bag chairs and mine is over here," I said.

"What about the balcony?" Harry asked.

"What about it?" I asked.

"Are there sides there too or can we both go there?" Harry asked.

"That's the only place where the boundaries don't exist," I said.

"Alright, what are the other rules?" Harry asked.

"Rule two: no bringing people here. Rule three: don't talk to me unless you absolutely need something from me. Rule four: don't bring up anything about the past, present, or future unless we need to plan something," I said.

"Are those it?" Harry asked.

"Do you want to add something?" I asked.

Harry shook his head.

"Good because I don't like making rules unless I have to," I said.

"Same," Harry said.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to head to Ursula's Fish and Chips," I said, walking over to the stairs.

"Ah ah ah, that's my part of the room," Harry smirked.

I rolled my eyes and walked over to the balcony. "Bye," I said before jumping over the railing and carefully making my way down to the ground.

Before I walked away, I looked up to see Harry looking over the railing with a pale face. I stuck my tongue out at him before making my way to the fish and chips shop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was almost eleven at night when I decided to finally walk back to the place Harry and I were staying at. I threw a rock at the sign and the gate went up with a loud creak. After making my way up the stairs, I heard sniffling. Confused, I finished walking up the stairs and looked around. My eyes found Harry, who was sleeping on the bean bag chairs and was crying in his sleep. Breaking my own rules, I walked over to him.

Harry's nose was red and his closed eyes looked puffy from crying as tears continued to roll down his face. He sniffled again and hugged himself tighter.

Normally, I would love to see him like this. So vulnerable, hurt, and in so much pain. But seeing Harry broke my heart. I lightly shook him and his eyes flew open to look at me. Harry looked scared and broken as he stared into my eyes.

"Are you okay?" I asked for the second time today.