Part 41: Fairy Cottage

“She’s not upstairs,” Jay said, walking down the stairs.

Suddenly, there was a banging noise coming from the inside of a closet.

“Well, someone’s getting it on,” Harry whispered to me.

I rolled my eyes and walked over to the closet before opening it making a blonde-haired male fall out.

“Chad?” Ben asked, recognising the man.

“I want my mommy,” Chad said, sitting back up.

“No, it’s okay,” Ben said. “What happened, buddy?”

“Ben. Ben!” Chad said before his eyes found Ben’s beard. “Your face.” Suddenly, Chad looked around the room. “She’s gone, huh?” That’s when his eyes found the open door. “The door is open. I’m free. Freedom! Oh, freedom!”

“Well, he’s crazy,” I said, closing the closet door.

“Tell me something I don’t know,” Mal said, rolling her eyes before turning to the rest of the group. “Well, Audrey’s obviously not here.”

“What do we do now?” Evie asked.

“We have to look for her somewhere else,” Mal said.

“She couldn’t have gotten too far away,” Jay said.

“Yeah, she’s probably still in Auradon,” Harry said.

“So do just continue looking as a group or split up?” I asked.

“Let’s go together,” Mal said.

“Okay,” I said as we all walked out of the cottage.

“Are you alright?” Harry asked, looking at me.

“Yeah,” I said. “Are you?”

“Yeah, but this whole Audrey situation is driving me crazy,” Harry said.

“Tell me about it,” I said.

“Alright, let’s get this Audrey chick taken care of already,” Uma said. “What do you say, girls? Time to wrap things up?”

“Yes,” Sophia said. “I hate tracking this chick down.”

“You know, someday, you’re gonna have to tell me how you guys all teamed up,” Ben said.

“Actually, Mal promised to let all the kids off the Isle once this is all over,” Evie said.

“Mal?” Ben asked.

“I have to tell you guys something,” Mal said. “Um… I lied to you. The kids won’t be coming off the Isle.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“The program is shut down,” Harry said in disbelief.

Mal nodded.

“And the barrier?” I asked.

“It will be closed for good,” Mal said, her voice breaking.

“For Auradon’s safety,” Ben said.

“Hold up,” Sophia said. “So, we’re saving your precious people and your behinds for a lie?”

“I knew it was a mistake to trust you. You’re always out for yourself,” Uma said.

“And you, King Benny,” Sophia said, walking over to Ben before looking sad. “You’re probably going to throw us all back inside.”

“You know what?” Celia asked, getting everyone’s attention. “I actually thought you were brave.” She walked over and took the ember out of Mal’s hand. “You’re nothing but a chicken. Too scared to tell me I was never gonna see my dad again.” With those final words, Celia threw Hades’ ember into some water.

“Celia!” Mal and I yelled in unison.

“Regain your might and ignite!” Mal said after grabbing the ember out of the water before looking at me sadly.

“Regain your might and ignite!” Mal and I said in unison.

The ember slightly started to glow before it went out again.

Mal looked over at Uma for help.

“Bummer,” Uma said, holding up her shell necklace before letting it fall against her chest. “Let’s go find Gil and leave them all to rot.”

“No!” Mal said. “Uma!” Mal turned towards Evie. “Evie… I’m so sorry. I’m sorry, I just… I thought that… I was too afraid to tell you.” Evie didn’t look like she was buying it. “I thought I was gonna lose my best friend. But I had to do something. I had to protect Auradon.”

“Closing the barrier was your idea?” Evie asked, her voice sounding hurt.

“She did it for your guys’ own good,” I said. “She did it for the life that you guys have now. Even if it means I go back to the Isle.”

“For our life?” Harry asked. “My life is with you, Chloe.”

“And what about the kids that we left behind on that island?” Evie asked, close to tears. “The kids that we promised? We were their only hope. I thought you were gonna stand up for the V.K.’s. But instead, you lied to them. And you lied to Jay. And you lied to Harry. And you lied to Carlos. And you lied to me. We’re your family.”

“Evie,” Mal said as Evie started walking away. “Evie, come on. I had no choice!

Suddenly, there was a flash of pink smoke and laughter. I shielded my eyes before removing my hand, seeing that everyone except me and Mal had turned to stone.

“Harry!” I yelled, rushing over to his stone self. I put my hands up to his sad face before throwing my arms around him and hugging his statue. “I’m so sorry.”